SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First off, let me say I am not trying to start problems. Also, if this is in the wrong forum, please move it mods. I only want these issues to be known by the community to know what situation I am in and so that you all may try and avoid it.

In the end of April/beginning of May, I purchased a td04-14t turbo off here from smallt. Below is the listing:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231764

I asked for detailed pictures of the turbo and the part number to confirm everything. And we made a deal for $175 shipped. I was under the understanding that the turbo was in good condition as it had come off of a 2006 9-3 with 46k miles.

Well now that I have had time and money, I decided to have it upgraded (my original plans) to a 16T through John (JZW). I checked if there was any shaft play and to me, an untrained eye, I believed it was in good working order.

Well, after the turbo shop looked at it, it turns out that it is NOT in good working order, saying it was hard to turn over and very stiff.

I am very disappointed with the turbo and that fact I need to spend another $300 for a rebuild. I would think issues with a turbo would be noticed very quickly, especially if it was taken off a car with only 46k miles.

While this may of been a case of shady dealings, I can also understand that it may of not been known to smallt and could have been just bad luck. But I am not sure what to think of it....

Once again I am not here to start problems, just let everyone know the situation I am in and the $300 I am out due to a bad deal, could have been my fault for not doing my research, could of been the sellers, or could of been neither.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Sorry to hear that ive been in a similiar situation when i bought a vtec head for my non vtec civic and it happened to have stripped bolts and ended up leaking oil. I am also considering purchasing a turbo have.upgraded to a 19t and upgrade my jzw tune but may just use my own as its less than 2 years old and less than 20xxxx miles.
On a side note since were both in metro detroit we should try to cruise to a meet sometime

1 - 5 of 5 Posts