SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new here,
I am having a few issues with my 2001 9-3 convertible. I am in Dallas, and my A/C will not work. I had it checked and charged a year ago. A mechanic that specializes in foreign cars said he could not find the leak...Any ideas??
Next, my top will stop retracting anytime I try to lower it. I am wondering if it is a fluid issue?? Can you tell me how to access the reserve tank to look at this?? Finally, when I have to brake hard, there is a loud POPPING noise?? Any ideas there as well.

Thanks,
TG

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Hello new here,
I am having a few issues with my 2001 9-3 convertible. I am in Dallas, and my A/C will not work. I had it checked and charged a year ago. A mechanic that specializes in foreign cars said he could not find the leak...Any ideas??
Next, my top will stop retracting anytime I try to lower it. I am wondering if it is a fluid issue?? Can you tell me how to access the reserve tank to look at this?? Finally, when I have to brake hard, there is a loud POPPING noise?? Any ideas there as well.

Thanks,
TG
So, you know the A/C system leaks and you can't find the leak? If so, 1st go looking for a oily/dirty stain somewhere on the a/c system. A leak in an A/C system will bring some refrigerant oil with it and leave tell tale signs.

Other way's to find the leak: Inject a UV dye into the system, re-charge it with refrigerant and then use a UV light and goggles to look for the spot that fluoresces.

Pressurize the system to about 20 psi and use a soap solution on the components. The leak should cause the soap solution to form easy to see bubbles.

Pressurize the system to about 350 psi using nitrogen. You'll likely be able to hear the leak.

Difficult places to find leaks: the front seal on the compressor, it's hidden by the clutch and the A/C evaporator. That's in the air box and nearly impossible to inspect. Removing the cabin intake air filter and blower motor will get you some access to the evaporator, might be a way to use an electronic refrigerant leak detector.

The loud popping noise is likely coming from the stanchion bushings, Could be loose caliper bolts, but I'd expect you'll find the sleeves inside the stanchion bushings have rusted away and the bushing bolt is not quite tight enough. Put both together and the bushings will pop quite loudly as braking force is placed on them.

Not sure, but I think the reservoir for the top is behind/below the back of the rear seat., cleverly hidden by an access panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks win-k, I will do as you say. That is good information for me to know. I have done a few cosmetic things to my car, and love how easy it has been. I replaced the cup holder, and SID unit,pretty easy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts