SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody give us a headsup on whether there are any issues or things that can go wrong when changing the car battery please.
(Getting the car to a dealer is not possible).

·
Super Moderator
8,461 Posts
No issues,leave car unlocked,fob out of ism..need to resync ALL fobs by placing them in the ism for 5-10secs,reset pinch protection & clock once the new batt is connectet..the steering lock won't re-engage until the car has been driven..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No issues,leave car unlocked,fob out of ism..need to resync ALL fobs by placing them in the ism for 5-10secs,reset pinch protection & clock once the new batt is connectet..the steering lock won't re-engage until the car has been driven..
Sorry, I just don't get the jargon... "ism" (is that the ignition switch?) "reset pinch protection" how do you do this?
Can I interpret this as: leave key out of ignition, change car battery, place each key (I have x2 FOB keys) in the ignition for 5-10seconds, then, how do I "reset pinch protection"?
Why would I need to resync fobs before the old car battery is disconnected? surely I'd need to do this AFTER the battery is changed?
Confused- Greendale.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok apologies, I've misinterpreted the wording of the reply. So I change the battery with no key in ignition, THEN put each key in the ignition for 5-10 seconds.
There's still the thing about "reset the pinch protection".

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Do you have "express up" feature in windows?
If no, ignore.
If yes, raise windows (1/time) and keep your finger to up button for 5 secs. Then lower window and keep finger to down button for 5 secs. Raise window, you can hear bib and pinch protection is reset.
Repeat with all windows which have pinch protection.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you do this AFTER you install the new battery? Is "pinch protection" another way of saying Stealing protection. I have to hold the window switches to raise them.

·
Registered
2006 9-3 Aero SportCombi (V6, 6AT)
68 Posts
I just replaced the battery in my '06 9-3 Aero (v6). It is very straightforward...remove old battery, install new battery. If your car has a ventilation tube for the battery compartment, make sure to reinstall it!

My battery was disconnected for maybe 30 minutes while I reinstalled the new one. The rear view mirror compass did not need to be reset and the steering column lock worked right away (it didn't require a few driving cycles). The auto windows and clock did need to be reset, but it looks like the posts above have detailed that procedure. Also, I didn't need to re-sync my fobs.

I would imagine the number of things you need to reset is tied to how long you have the car disconnected from the battery. Be prepared to reset everything, but don't be surprised if certain things don't need to be reset.

Just keep the fob out of the ignition until you are ready to start the car after replacing the battery. I was also worried about something happening with the ISM/CIM/fob, but common sense (don't keep key in while changing battery) is really the only rule you need to follow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts