SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Can't see enough from that picture. Look at the oil filler tube. PCV #6 has a molded in plastic nipple that juts out horizontally from the filler tube. PVC #5, IIRC, had a metal nipple and previous versions had no nipple.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
guess I better get to doing the update! I just always assumed my car had it since it was always serviced correctly before I bought it, but the dealer might have picked it up from the original owner before the update came out...Im at 92k sludge free miles already, so Im just going to get the update kit and hopefully go another 100k sludge free!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
guess I better get to doing the update! I just always assumed my car had it since it was always serviced correctly before I bought it, but the dealer might have picked it up from the original owner before the update came out...Im at 92k sludge free miles already, so Im just going to get the update kit and hopefully go another 100k sludge free!!
I just ordered mine from eEuroparts. They also have the instructions on their site. Another site that has instructions is this:

http://www.fixmysaab.com/9-5_repair/PCV/intro.asp

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Keep in mind that the PCV updates are only necessary for those that are having problems with oil seepage.

I have updated mine a couple of times, but I never did the latest one. I didn't have a problem before, and I don't now.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep in mind that the PCV updates are only necessary for those that are having problems with oil seepage.

I have updated mine a couple of times, but I never did the latest one. I didn't have a problem before, and I don't now.
hmmmm....yeah I dont have any issues, I was just going to do it as a preventative measure, Im still debating on whether or not to drop the pan....like I said I have no issues, no oil pressure lights, no weird noises, the valvetrain is practically silent, no seepage around the head or valvecover and it does not use a drop of oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts

Oil seepage is only the externally visible effect of a bad PCV system. If it is not breathing properly, it can still cause the oil to sludge due to excessive moisture content. If the hoses are breaking down, they can cast off pieces that can clog the oil pick-up screen.

In my opinion, PCV mod #6 should be done on ALL T7 engines. It's cheap insurance.

John

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
If any of those things is happening, it would be a problem that needs to be addressed.

If they aren't, they're not. In mine, they never have and aren't.

·
Registered
296 Posts
hmmmm....yeah I dont have any issues, I was just going to do it as a preventative measure, Im still debating on whether or not to drop the pan....like I said I have no issues, no oil pressure lights, no weird noises, the valvetrain is practically silent, no seepage around the head or valvecover and it does not use a drop of oil between oil changes.
I did not feel, hear, or see any issues with my engine, either. Took it to the mech for an oil pan drop as preventive measure (because the car came without #6 upgrade), and they found a few metal shavings, and a rod bearing out of spec, as well as a cracked vibration damper. They are replacing all bearings and the vibration damper as I write this, and the #6 update will be done as soon as the parts are here.

What I'm trying to say is that you can't tell from the outside what has already happened, and the #6 upgrade is a good and fairly inexpensive preventive measure.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you have a T7 and care about the car, you get the update. It doesn't make sense not too.

Sludge is something you want to prevent. NOT something you wait for and fix afterward...

My 2 cents.
I'm totally with you. While it's painful to spend money on something that is not absolutely necessary at the time (and you don't know, if it will ever be necessary), it is good insurance.

Over the course of my life I have encountered a shocking number of people who will drive their car until something breaks.

Oil changes, tires, brakes, maintenance? For people with too much time and money... so they appear think. Until they get stranded and either have a huge repair bill, or have to replace the car.

These owners are good business for towing companies, dealers, and mechanics, because in the end they spend more money than the cautious ones.

Of course, it's the manufacturer's fault then. Terrible, that they build cars that need maintenance... should have bought a TOYOTA! :p:cheesy::lol:

NOT!

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm totally with you. It's painful to spend money on something that is not absolutely necessary at the time, and you don't know, if it is really necessary. But then again, you buy insurance for the very same reason. Preventive maintenance is a form of insurance.

Over the course of my life I have encountered a shocking number of people who will drive their car until something breaks.

Oil changes, tires, brakes, maintenance? For people with too much time and money... so they appear think. Until they get stranded and either have a huge repair bill, or have to replace the car.

These owners are good business for towing companies, dealers, and mechanics, because in the end they spend more money than the cautious ones.

Of course, it's the manufacturer's fault then. Terrible, that they build cars that need maintenance... should have bought a TOYOTA! :p:cheesy::lol:

NOT!
I think the hardest part for me to accept is that most people (I encounter), treat cars like they are disposable. They think that after a hundred thousand miles ,it's time to get a new one.:confused:

If you are on this site, you obviously care about the car, so take everyone's advice and do the preventative maintenance....

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im am going to do the update as soon as I get back, along with the 2 other hoses that dont get included in the kit and all new silicone vacuum lines, I will probably pop the valve cover to do a visual inspection of the top end at the same time. anything else I should do while Im doing that stuff?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts