SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice the excessive oil around the hose. When I pulled this sensor it was covered in oil. Should I be worried? Is there anything I can do about this?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats one of the IC pipes. there shouldn't be alot of oil inside of that pipe.

i have zero oil around that aera of my 01 9-5 so im thinking something is amiss.

pull the hose and check inside
I know that its an air line, that's why i'm concerned. Maybe a diverter valve failure causing this? I'm just grasping at straws!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
DV failure wouldn't cause an oil leak to form. atleast it shouldn't. cause when mine failed i just had a lost in boost.

usually if a signifigant amount of oil gets in the IC lines it had something to do with the turbo.

do you have any other symptoms? like blue smoke coming out your tailpipe on start up?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No blue smoke on start up. The car seems to be running fine!! I do think I am losing boost, but I think that 's from the DV. its the original & it has 131k on it!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Doesn't that pipe come up from the intercooler? If so, the only source of oil would be from the turbo. Generally seals going bad allowing oil to pass through. Pull the pipe off the intercooler and see if any oil comes out. My understanding is if you have a few drops of oil its normal, however a 1/2 cup or more of oil comes out, and you should start searching for a turbo replacement.

Aaron

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
^correct. yeah thats an IC pipe.

could be a faulty DV for you loosing boost. check all your vaccum hoses as well. could just be that their old and rotted/torn and need to be replaced with some nice silicone ones.:D
Very well put probably exactly the reason!

·
Registered
237 Posts
^correct. yeah thats an IC pipe.

could be a faulty DV for you loosing boost. check all your vaccum hoses as well. could just be that their old and rotted/torn and need to be replaced with some nice silicone ones.:D
What do you mean by DV? My wifes car also has some oil in this area, although not nearly as bad.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
try xboost on ebay for re-built gt-17 turbos(im assuming that you have a base model since the aero's have td-04's and they are very robost turbos and usually dont fail)

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/xsboostturbochargers/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg

^link to his page. ive heard very good things on his re-built kits.

DV=diverter valve or bypass valve. all the same really.

its that black plastic valve with the vaccum line coming off the end. right below the senor by the IC pipe. it holds boost then releases when you let off the throttle.

if you had a blow off valve which sends the excess air to the atmosphere and creates that pssh sorta sound.

DV recirculate air and dont dump it to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
sorry to say man but i will have to go with everyone else here....its going to be your turbo for sure. that is a ****ton of oil. when i pulled my piping there was virtually no oil on the inside of the pipes.

this is the PERFECT time to upgrade to the aero td-04 turbo though :cool:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sorry to say man but i will have to go with everyone else here....its going to be your turbo for sure. that is a ****ton of oil. when i pulled my piping there was virtually no oil on the inside of the pipes.

this is the PERFECT time to upgrade to the aero td-04 turbo though :cool:
Wouldn't that require an ecu?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
if you want aero performance yes. you can run the aero turbo without the software though, although you probably wont like it- as youll only get more turbo lag with no more horsepower.

but if you shell out the extra 100-200 now and just do the aero turbo, you probably wont ever have to change it again. they rarely fail. so if you're looking at long run cost, its cheaper to do aero turbo/ecu.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if you want aero performance yes. you can run the aero turbo without the software though, although you probably wont like it- as youll only get more turbo lag with no more horsepower.

but if you shell out the extra 100-200 now and just do the aero turbo, you probably wont ever have to change it again. they rarely fail. so if you're looking at long run cost, its cheaper to do aero turbo/ecu.
But shouldn't a rebuilt GT-17 one last another 100k?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
yes it should. its a power gain really. if your just want to keep your car how it is, save money then just get a re-built gt-17. it will last quite awhile. many people have had their original ones go past 100K. others are not so lucky.

if you plan on driving the car till it dies and would like some more power then i would say swap in the td-04.

its all up to you!

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
It's probably the turbo but before you drop a lot of money on the turbo it's at least worth making sure your PCV system is in proper working order, and if you haven't upgraded to version 6 you should do that ASAP (look in the stickies section). If the crankcase vent can't relieve the crankcase pressure, you'll get excess oil pressure and it will be forced out the turbo seals into the intake like that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts