SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 viggen that I bought a few months ago (53,000m) which is running perfectly but there is one thing that I think may be normal but am just making sure. In between shifts the rpm's go up 3-400 revolutions higher for a second or two then come down normally, it's kind of annoying when shifting often and seems to becoming more pronounced. I figure it's some sort of emission thing. Any ideas??

Thanks from Vermont!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well it is sort of normal, the Vig is a drive by wire system so you don't have a direct mechanical connection to the throttle. Try changing your timing between the gas and the clutch and you will find that it reacts differently and you can get rid of that delay in RPM change.

·
Registered
172 Posts
My Viggen does this as well, but it is my own doing as I find it makes for a better shift and protects the synchros. IF you would rather the rpm drop off when making a shift then you must let off the gas almost completely before disengaging the clutch. This however can place greater strain on the synchros if they have to speed up to have the input and output shafts match up. What I would suggest is just shifting with a slower gear lever throw and you will notice extremely smooth shifting.

·
Registered
267 Posts
More or less, all Saabs do that, it has to do with the centrifugal forces of the flywheel. This is completely eliminated with a lightened flywheel.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seems from searching several saab forums that most 9-3's and viggens do this at some level, some more than others. I don't buy the flywheel theory though because it doesn't happen when I'm shifting at 4000 rpm or above. I understand why it's doing this,it just seems more pronounced recently which leads me to a throttle body issue or something.

·
Banned
1,047 Posts
I think your slipping the clutch in too late, at least thats wghat it sounds like. Try not keeping you foot on the gas at all between shifts. When I was learning stick I did this so I wouldn't stall it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts