SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I can hear a distorted metallic sssshhhh rattle from the left hand side of the car. It seems to happen more after lifting off throttle. From hearing the sound, if I roll in neutral it will stop after 5-10 seconds or so. I first noticed this noise after having a noobtune remap. He is on holiday so I thought I would rack someone else's brains.. I'm not sure why but for some reason I can imagine this noise being a turbo bearing floating around (not that I can find any information on turbo bearings).

I can't hear this noise when idling and applying throttle, does this mean it could be turbo related?

Any advice welcome

·
Registered
116 Posts
Isn't the turbo on the right side ? Left side is gearbox .

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh I suppose it is sorry. I do remember my mechanic pointing down in the front left part of the engine bay saying thats where the turbo was. I'm very new to this car and turbos in general. Could the gear box make these noises?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I got a Pshhhhhhh noise after letting off the gas, I believe it is the boost control valve letting the pressure from the turbo go from the intake, after watching the gauge on the dash and the bluetooth OBDII tool i have, it appears to be it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try explaining further :p Its definitely a metal noise, like a mix of rattling, sliding and grinding. Maybe the exhaust is coming loose or something. Its more noticeable when driving past a wall so the sound reflects back to me.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Is this only under load or after a gear change . What happens in neutral ?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have the same or similar noise. It's a metallic rattling on the left hand side. I notice it most if I have the window down. I went on a road trip a couple of weeks ago and was on a brick road. It was very noticeable. My first thought is that something is loose. I am doing the sump drop next weekend and I am going to look to see if I can find the cause of the noise while I am under the car. If I can figure it out, I will post it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That sounds very similar Gen-X. Please keep me updated on your sump drop. I'm planning to have a sludge check soon. In neutral there is no rattling at all. I don't know what you mean by 'under load'. It seems to be after boosting a bit. But not rpm related.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Under load : when you're in gear and hitting the gas pedal .
Noise ?
Sure it isn't your brakes ? It can happen when there not mounted correctly (pads) You hear metal clicking thicking noise . Noise stops when hitting brakes .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts