SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, wondered if anyone could help me with the following:

From previous posts (and your help) I can see that to check my gearbox oil I have to remove the front right wheel - then remove the level bung with the 8mm allen key - the fluid shoud then be level with the hole right?

Once I have done that I may decide that it needs topping up - or that I will change the oil completely.

I suppose I just go to the SAAB dealer and ask for "gearbox oil for my 2000 9-5 Aero" to get the right fluid?

To top it up - I just remove the filling bung - at the top and use some sort of funnel and pipe system to pour the oil in?

If I want to empty the gearbox of oil first - I simple remove the drain plug at the bottom and allow the oil to drain out - and then replace the bung and fill from the top again.

Does anyone have to hand - or know how much gearbox oil it will take?

Really appreciate your help - I'd like to know how to do the oil changes on my car myself rather than having to have it serviced everytime.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Manual box capacity... drain and refill 1.5ltrs, total from dry 1.8ltrs, gearbox oil is Saab MTF 0063. Your method of changing sounds about right. :cool:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Firsly check the level plug as planned , but this should be ok or otherwise you would probably see traces of a leak somewhere around the gearbox.

I would change the oil regardless as it can only do good :)

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Doesn't the car have to be level for you to check the oil properly? :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts