SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, sorry for my inexperience on not knowing what anything is called. I was given this car not too long ago. I noticed that this hard plastic hose has vacuum sucking in and am pretty sure its supposed to connect to something. I just don't know what. Would appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
I believe that that's part of the brake booster hose. If you have an automatic, it should branch off to a vacuum pump on the side of the cylinder head and to the brake booster. If it's a manual, then it would only connect to the brake booster.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
The manual also branches and goes into the charge air tube just above the throttle body with yet another check valve in it.

that thing will suck unmetered air into the fuel delivery system, you need to get this replaced. I'm shocked that your power brakes would work as well!

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
for what it's worth, this is the part for the automatic car. It's virtually impossible to take one of these apart so you have to buy the whole assembly

I always keep an extra just in case I break one. I grab them at junkyards when I'm getting other things.

I also disconnect them from the manifold and the vacuum pump while I'm working on the car in that area just to keep from slipping and breaking the thing.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/9779/Brake-Booster-Vacuum-Hose-Auto-Trans-5331095/

·
Registered
10,274 Posts
I've broken two of those hoses while working on my cars, so I do the same thing now, and disconnect it from the vacuum pump and the intake manifold before messing with anything in that area. I think I'm fresh out of spares at the moment, which reminds me that I should pick up another one at Pick-n-Pull. I don't think they even charge $5.00 for one at that place.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I'm nowhere near as organised. No idea what I was doing last time I snapped one but with delivery from somewhere like Saabits it automatically adds 3 bloody days to any job!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this is how the car looked when the power brakes stopped working.

i'll take some photos/video later of how I ghetto rigged it back to working by guessing where things should be since i have no clue of what it used to look like.

·
Registered
7,893 Posts
You've got multiple things wrong in that photo

• broken hard line for the brake booster (topic of this thread)
  • Broken tap for the boost control valve, just to the right with one piece of blue vacuum line
  • nothing connected to vacuum port on throttle body
  • the PCV connection is screwed up, that hose from below to the catch bin is not supposed to be connected there but to the oil fill neck.

What year is this thing? you need to get all of the vacuum and PCV lines sorted or it's going to run like crap!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Depends on year and PCV version. My 2004 (manual) has that throttle body (...’191) and the PCV hose connects as shown. Connection to the oil filler neck was one of the several earlier variations.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Connection to the oil filler is capped off for autos from what I understand. My '05 is like that as well.

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
Ill take photos tomorrow of the layout. Hopefully it'll help. The year may help as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts