SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prepairing for the first oil change on the wife's 07 93 aero vert, if found that the oil filter is cartriged type and not spin on. Is this correct ? I have not had the chance to look yet but it supprises me. This filter number is a Fram CH8765.
I also confirmed this at the Fram web site for our vehicle but again why a cartriged and why did Saab do this. Any thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Hi- Yes it's a cartridge type filter and not one with a metal casing. It's pretty easy to change, just remove a few torx fasteners on the plastic engine cover to gain easier access. I think it's recommended that you also replace the o-ring under the cartridge cap, and also the rubber washer on the oil pan drain plug, although I reused both of mine with no ill effects. Also, you'll need a fairly large socket (32mm?) to take the "cap" off to get access to the filter inside.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrbrett said:
Hi- Yes it's a cartridge type filter and not one with a metal casing. It's pretty easy to change, just remove a few torx fasteners on the plastic engine cover to gain easier access. I think it's recommended that you also replace the o-ring under the cartridge cap, and also the rubber washer on the oil pan drain plug, although I reused both of mine with no ill effects. Also, you'll need a fairly large socket (32mm?) to take the "cap" off to get access to the filter inside.
Thanks for the reply. Do I understand correctly that the filter can be replaced from under the hood, under the engine cover and are the orings dealer only ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Saab Newbie said:
You have a V6 (2.8) I believe, the instructions he provided are for the 2.0. Why not take it to a dealer? Scheduled maintenance is free for first 30,000 miles I believe. There are instructions on this site on how to change your oil on a 2.8, Here you go, I just found them.
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99344&highlight=Filter+Location

Jeff
Thanks for the link, the dealer will service at 10k but I would to change at 5k
intervals because we plan to keep the car for a while...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts