SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My father's Saab is a second-hand car (which means he bought it from another owner, not a dealer). Do not presume that it is in bad condition just because it is second-handed. It is in PERFECT condition.

The former owner told us that it was the SE 2.0 turbo [185 hp]. But, I always had some doubts about that. Firstly, there is no turbo pressure gauge above the temperature and fuel meters.

Today I found something else. The manual says something about a code located under the hood, above the headlight. The code has 17 or 18 digits (I don't remember exactly) and can give useful information on the car.

The 8th digit tells you the "type" of the engine:
If it is a "J" it is a 2.0i
If it is a "B" it is a 2.3i
If it is a "N" it is a 2.0T
If it is a "D" it is a 2.2 Diesel

So if our car was a 2.0T it would have a "N". BUT, it has a "T"! Now what is this "T"? I figured that it is the LPT model (I think this means "Low Pressure Turbo"). There is also the possibility for the manual to be old and not to include the letter "T"!

How can we find out... which model it is?????! (I know this sound crazy, but please tell me!)

·
Registered
304 Posts
nickstamat said:
My father's Saab is a second-hand car (which means he bought it from another owner, not a dealer). Do not presume that it is in bad condition just because it is second-handed. It is in PERFECT condition.

The former owner told us that it was the SE 2.0 turbo [185 hp]. But, I always had some doubts about that. Firstly, there is no turbo pressure gauge above the temperature and fuel meters.

Today I found something else. The manual says something about a code located under the hood, above the headlight. The code has 17 or 18 digits (I don't remember exactly) and can give useful information on the car.

The 8th digit tells you the "type" of the engine:
If it is a "J" it is a 2.0i
If it is a "B" it is a 2.3i
If it is a "N" it is a 2.0T
If it is a "D" it is a 2.2 Diesel

So if our car was a 2.0T it would have a "N". BUT, it has a "T"! Now what is this "T"? I figured that it is the LPT model (I think this means "Low Pressure Turbo"). There is also the possibility for the manual to be old and not to include the letter "T"!

How can we find out... which model it is?????! (I know this sound crazy, but please tell me!)
What year is the car? If it is SE I am almost certain that your father's car is turbo. However, there are saabs that have V6 in them, and I think that they don't come with a turbo.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
591 Posts
"is this a turbo or an LPT" sounds almost like "is it a meat or a steak". If it's a LPT, than it's turbo too but with lite pressure up to 0.4bar which results as 150 or 154 hp (Trionic 7 or older 5). "Normal" turbo, also known as "full pressure turbo" delivers 0.6bar and this comes out as 185hp. Check your VIN. There are 4 spots on the car, easiest would be at the drivers side bottom of the windshield. Check through your user manual (last few pages) to see description for each number/letter of that VIN and that should solve your mistery. Most likely, if there is no boost gauge it would be LPT. If you have doubts is it turbo at all, simply open your bonnet, behind the radiator, under metal heat shield is turbo. Just follow big rubber hose that leads from the air filter.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
philosophicaldreamer:
The car was bought in 1999 and what we know is:
2.0 litres
4-cylinder

...and I think it has a turbo because I can feel the characteristic "turbo lag" when he drives with 2nd or 3rd gear. The problem now is to find if it is a full pressure turbo or a low pressure turbo.

Marquis de Saab:
Help me understand your post, please! What is a VIN? Is this a code or something?

·
Registered
304 Posts
nickstamat said:
philosophicaldreamer:
The car was bought in 1999 and what we know is:
2.0 litres
4-cylinder

...and I think it has a turbo because I can feel the characteristic "turbo lag" when he drives with 2nd or 3rd gear. The problem now is to find if it is a full pressure turbo or a low pressure turbo.

Marquis de Saab:
Help me understand your post, please! What is a VIN? Is this a code or something?
Vin is a 17 character number that is unique and assigned to each vehicle. It identifies characteristics of the vehicle, including manufacturer, year, model, body, engine specifications, and serial number. It is located on the left side of your dashboard.

Ta-ta, janusz

·
Registered
591 Posts
That is probably the number you were talking about. Do you have car licence in Greece (been there more that 20 times but I can't remember ;oops: )... if you have it, there should be horsepower marked somewhere in it. For 2.0 engine only 131hp is non-turbo, all the rest are charged models. To repeat, without boost gauge we are probably (99,9% sure) talking about LPT.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I told you in my first post! This is the code I mean!

Inside the manual it says that the 8th digit corresponds to the "type/version" of the engine! It says that this digit can be a J, a B, a N or a D. But our car has a T!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Marquis de Saab said:
That is probably the number you were talking about. Do you have car licence in Greece (been there more that 20 times but I can't remember ;oops: )... if you have it, there should be horsepower marked somewhere in it. For 2.0 engine only 131hp is non-turbo, all the rest are charged models. To repeat, without boost gauge we are probably (99,9% sure) talking about LPT.
Yes it mentions the horsepower, but wait! I am not sure but I think they write whatever you tell them at the horsepower. I say this because my father still thinks it has a power output of 185hp. So that's what he told them when he went to get a car licence.

·
Registered
591 Posts
nickstamat said:
I am not sure but I think they write whatever you tell them at the horsepower.
:eek: they charge insurance policy upon that number where I live!! Look, if you have a turbo under the bonnet, and no boost gauge on the dash and car (not you) is made 1999. than it's the same I've got - LPT with 154 hp (with red DI cassete on the top)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, that's what I think too. I have two more questions:

1) Why doesn't the manual have this version (LPT)?
2) Why everywhere (licences, insurances etc.) it says 185 hp?

I don't know... Perhaps I may persuade my father to ask here in our local dealer. And if it really is the LPT...... :cry:

...I'll tell him to go and buy an ECU upgrade from Hirsch Performance (http://www.hirsch-performance.com/93/93_20lpt98_00.html). It doesn't matter if you have the LPT or the Turbo! The result is the same: 222hp horsepower / 31kgm torque!!!

Any other suggestions are acceptable! Tell me if you have any ideas!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Maybe to save yourself few hundred euros and go for Speedparts, Maptune, Nordic Performance, BSR or some other tuner package. Yes, you are right, engines are the same and ECU for Stage1 is the same no matter if it's LPT or FBT. Check www.partsforsaabs.com and see their offer for BSR package. There is also most affordable solution at MP Performance www.mpperformance.com (only 539$ I think), but it's in the States if that makes difference to you.
Hirsch is praised as top quaity and Saab recommends them when it comes to tuning, but it's also TOP PRICE, all the rest I mentioned are also Saab dedicated tuners.
NOTE: There is no BPC/APC on the Lite turbo, but most of the Stage1 packages include it in the price.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I want to be sure because my father doesn't believe me! You said you have the 9-3 2.0t [LPT] SE (MY 1999). Why don't you give me your code to see if the 8th digit is the same with mine?

My code is: YS3DF35T0X2xxxxxx

(xxxxxx is the 6-digit serial number)

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
That is probably the B204E engine, LPT (low pressure turbo).

I posted a lit of engine types here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55421

There is a VIN breakdown, including a discussion of engine variants here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32123

Here is one online VIN decoder you can use yourself:

http://faq.saabnet.ru/saab_vin/vinsaab.shtml

Before you start thinking that your car is somehow inferior, consider that you only use that extra 20-25% difference in power on hard acceleration at higher rpm. Your father may never miss that extra 35 horsepower. I ran my car with the turbo connected in the LPT configuration for weeks while doing some engine work twice, and it was not bad at all.

On the positive side, if you decide to modify the engine for extra power, you will get a much bigger improvement for a couple hundred dollars than most people with the 185-205 hp engine... <chuckle>

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I'd say "T" signifies the low pressure turbo. "N" would be the regular turbo.
Insurance will be less expensive for the LPT, but KNOWN modifications will really drive up the price !!

Can you find and post your engine number ??
As an example :"B 20 2 L 1 M 00 M xxxxxx"
L is design, yours may be neither I nor L
I'm using the '94 to '98 parts book, I'm sure the format for the newer models is the same...

·
Registered
591 Posts
There you go YS3DF55T8X2XXXXXX
BTW, engine nr. is still relevant and second most important number at all car documents here, mine starts with B204EDMOO.... in which E stands for LPT (ecopower). For the year '99 it exactly 113Kw or 154,5hp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Marquis de Saab said:
There you go YS3DF55T8X2XXXXXX
BTW, engine nr. is still relevant and second most important number at all car documents here, mine starts with B204EDMOO.... in which E stands for LPT (ecopower). For the year '99 it exactly 113Kw or 154,5hp
Marquis de Saab, we have the same engine number: B204E...

enor, is this 100% correct? My father insists that it is the HPT [185hp], because the car licence says exactly 1984cc - 183hp.

I asked him and he told me that they get all these characteristics from the manufacturer when the car arrives in Greece (from Sweden).

I don't know... I don't even wanna think it is only 154hp! The car is too heavy for such a low horsepower! I divided its weight by 154 and I got nearly 10 kg/hp! If it had 185hp it would be at nearly 8 kg/hp! It is a reasonable diffirence.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Both your engine nr. and VIN confirmes that. Read again what PMI wrote to this subject here regarding horsepower and relax. I have it, I'm even driving it with 17" wheels and I enjoy it. If you need more, there is always a solution for few $$$.

Nothing more to say to this subject, we solved your dilema, numbers don't lie!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts