SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a guy in my area is selling his 1988 SAAB 900 SPG :D. It's got 149,000 miles, body and interior are mint and he's only asking $1,200 ;ol;. What's the catch? Well it makes the tale tale gearbox noise in 4th and 5th, and there's smoke coming off the turbo itself :eek: (I'm thinking it's the oil feed line going to the turbo). The car was a bit smokey out the tail pipe when he first started it, but it had been sitting for about 2 months, and it cleared after we took it for a spin. I tried the "Wilson wallet test" on the turbo and it did NOT smoke out the tail pipe. However like I said earlier, I think the oil feed line for the turbo is leaking because smoke comes directly off the turbo (mainly seems to be emanating from the exhaust side).

So I'm thinking I'll need to rebuild/replace the tranny and fix the leaking oil feed line.

-So am I right, do you guys think its the feed line or the $5 gasket?
-What would/should I replace in the tranny to fix it?
-Is it a good deal?
-How much do you guys think it would cost to do all of this? :confused:

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
It's probably the distributor leaking oil and dripping onto the heat sheild on the turbo making the smoke but other things can leak too, you may be right. You may get quite some time out of a trans. with a whiney pinion or not. If the car was very clean I would do it but that's me. Used transmissions in my area are getting hard to find and cost north of $500- and are ,well, used (crapshoot). Any pics of the car?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry no pictures...

Before you read any further you should know I almost completely lack a photographic memory...I remember some details but not all :roll:...so with that said...

It was that deep grey/silver color (I don't know the official name of the color) on the body, and it was either a the lighter silver or black :roll: (remember, bad memory) on the lower part of the body. It had the less desirable 3 spoke wheels (NOT the "spun" ones, but the ones that aren't "dish" wheels). It had good tread life on the tires, however I don't remember them being performance tires. I remember the spark plug cover was red :p. The body was great, the car has NEVER been repainted and it shows :cool:, the paint is smooth and shiny like glass. It even had a whale tale wing :cheesy:. He pointed out some "rippling" in the driver side quarter panel from some kind a impact, just behind the turn signal. However it is very subtle, hardly noticeable and the paint was not affected. The dash was cracked, but that's like saying Honda valve covers leak oil, they just do (I own a 1997 Honda Prelude SH, so don't think I'm bashing Honda). There were a few small tears in the seats, but nothing to write home about. It also had, and this might be a +/- for some people, a fake carbon fiber overlay on the dash and center console. Also the seat belt light would NOT go off even with both of us wearing our seat belts :confused:.

Please ask me more questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Also please do your best to answer some of my questions.;ol;

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still no pictures but...

I found a video on YouTube of an SPG that looks identical, if memory serves me correctly. It had the whale tail, those kind of 3-spoke wheels, the newer style louvers on the rear quarter and I'm pretty sure it's the same color scheme. Sorry it only shows the rear and sides in the video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9QLM4JxX_Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
You sound as though you are showing the early stages of the incurable bug known in common circles as "Saabitis", be very careful. In the first stage one becomes smitten; fasinated by sweedish/European engineering odittys and what-nots that may cause partial blindness to other seemingly mundane issues that are really just what they appear to be and somtimes much worse. Other symptoms include delusions of grandur and dreaming about driving a c900 through all kinds of weather down endless twisty roads. A latter stage finds you single and trolling the local junk yards for more cars or parts or whatever, rather than trolling a social networking website or yer local pub. And running dangerously low on cash money with seven of these cars parked on your front lawn in various stages of repair or dis-repair. From there it only gets worse:cheesy:
If you want my opinion on a car that I can not see, you already have it.
I suspect you have found an Edwardian grey SPG with Bufallo grey leather interior, 15 " aero wheels and a abs plastic body kit from bumper to bumper. Get some pics and post them up and you will probably fetch more than a few opinions

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Sounds like a fair price depending on how well it runs, but it's definitely at the high end of what I'd pay for it. The bad transmission kills the value of a Saab, since it is generally hard to find a decent used one and rebuilds are typically more than the cars themselves. I'd use the transmission as a negotiating point, since you can still come across SPGs in better condition without transmission issues for $3000. You'd be unlikely to get your transmission properly rebuilt for $1800, so you'll have more than $3000 into it if you did rebuild the tranny. If you are able to do some more serious wrenching yourself, you may feel good about $1200. If not (as in, you can't even remove and install a used transmission yourself), then it will be an expensive ride soon enough and maybe $800 would be more like it. Even paying someone to install an inspected used transmission may cost you $1000.

·
Banned
3,949 Posts
Here is a good example for you to wiegh your options:

I grabbed this non runner two weeks ago for $350. Seems like your exact description. This car is a 1991 Special Edition Vert with Tuperware (supposedly only a 300 or so imported into the US:eek:) plus as you can see,I have a top that lets back:lol:, (auto box), 170,000 on the clock. Tranny is fine and no smoke. Needs some paint but body is plum... Only thing missing to make it an SPG are 1.5 inch lowering springs and performance shocks (maybe $200).

The owner needed driveway space due to a family member moving in from out of town:cheesy: (sure ma'am, I'll have that car off your hands), and the car has been sitting 1 year due to the son connecting the battery terminals backwards and frying the ALT ground.

they listed it for $1000.00 (see where this is going??) A grand is usually the starting point when they know the car is worth no more than 500 bucks..

The guy obviously doesn't know whats wrong with the car or doesn't want to invest the cash; Help the seller understand you know what it costs to fix (which you wanna make clear isn't easy or will cost more than the car) and you'll get it cheap.

Oh yeah, if your wheels are like the ones above, nothing less desirable about them; I plan to leave the ones above in tact;ol;...

Good luck and stand firm; better you get the car for $400 and find out the issue of the gear box is nothing more than a flush and fill and the turbo is a minor oil drip as mentioned, oppose to paying $1000 for all the dress up ( SPG bits) and be upside down on day of purchase...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts