SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rubber on my antenna has disintegrated. I've read that when the cars were new, they either had onstar or not and the antennas are different. This looks to me like it wasn't functional, so I thought I'd put a dummy antenna over this one. Also, if I don't fix it soon, will water get in the car if it rains? What do ya'll think? Thanks!

20190710_074616.jpg

·
Registered
271 Posts
No wires coming through the center, and no electrical antenna sticking up. Looks like a dummy to me. I'm about 97% certain. Just like mine; no onstar = dummy antenna.

esaabparts references that antenna as being used for 'phone/nav'.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Isn't the radio (FM/AM) antenna in there? I know I opened up the one on my wife's '05 Linear and added the SXM antenna in there, and there was definitely a coax connection, and one taped off (unused connector) coming out of the antenna.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Isn't the radio (FM/AM) antenna in there? I know I opened up the one on my wife's '05 Linear and added the SXM antenna in there, and there was definitely a coax connection, and one taped off (unused connector) coming out of the antenna.
I believe the AM/FM antenna is embedded in the rear window glass.

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
"For sedans. Not sure on Combis:

The system has two antenna systems.
Antenna system 1 consists of one antenna for FM reception and one for AM reception. The FM
antenna uses the rear window heating element while the AM antenna is a separate circuit at
the top or the rear window. Both antennae are connected to an antenna amplifier located on
the right-hand C-pillar. There is an antenna filter mounted on the ground side of the rear
window heating element that removes interference when the rear window heating is on.

Antenna system 2 includes a diversity function and additional antenna for FM reception. This
FM antenna is integrated in the AM antenna. The antenna amplifier has an additional
connection for FM reception. The amplifier uses the strongest FM signal and relays this to the
EHU."

The sharkfin has a GPS antenna in it if you had Onstar. Looks like you didn't and it's just a shell. Definitely grab a empty cover for it and use some silicone to seal it on. Got mine on ebay for like $10-$20 I think.

·
Registered
271 Posts
"For sedans. Not sure on Combis:

The system has two antenna systems.
Antenna system 1 consists of one antenna for FM reception and one for AM reception. The FM
antenna uses the rear window heating element while the AM antenna is a separate circuit at
the top or the rear window. Both antennae are connected to an antenna amplifier located on
the right-hand C-pillar. There is an antenna filter mounted on the ground side of the rear
window heating element that removes interference when the rear window heating is on.

Antenna system 2 includes a diversity function and additional antenna for FM reception. This
FM antenna is integrated in the AM antenna. The antenna amplifier has an additional
connection for FM reception. The amplifier uses the strongest FM signal and relays this to the
EHU."

The sharkfin has a GPS antenna in it if you had Onstar. Looks like you didn't and it's just a shell. Definitely grab a empty cover for it and use some silicone to seal it on. Got mine on ebay for like $10-$20 I think.
Thanks diggs. I was checking out the essabparts wiring and antenna diagrams and parts, and it was getting a little confusing. You cleared it right up.

·
Super Moderator
19,217 Posts
Saab. Making the simplest things as complex as possible.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Mine leaked like crazy, picked up a VW Mk4 wiper delete that ends up working perfectly to seal the hole and looks a whole lot better. No need to weld up and repaint the roof.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up buying one of the dummy fins at Pep Boys for $5.99. I removed all the black rubber and it still doesn't fit completely over the old one, so I need to buy some black silicone caulk and fix the gap.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mine leaked like crazy, picked up a VW Mk4 wiper delete that ends up working perfectly to seal the hole and looks a whole lot better. No need to weld up and repaint the roof.
Any particular kit you used? I'd be interested in doing this. Maybe a pic or two of it installed?

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
I believe the AM/FM antenna is embedded in the rear window glass.
Just fyi for everyone, So every car manufacture uses the rear window defrost grid as an am/fm antenna. Sometimes its the only antenna, sometimes its a secondary. Thats why you get static on some cars when you turn on the defroster. Means theres a problem back there. In saabs you have that suppression filter that can cause that too.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Replaced mine last night

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
The rubber on my antenna has disintegrated. I've read that when the cars were new, they either had onstar or not and the antennas are different. This looks to me like it wasn't functional, so I thought I'd put a dummy antenna over this one. Also, if I don't fix it soon, will water get in the car if it rains? What do ya'll think? Thanks!

View attachment 253468
So, I did this last year and here's what I found out:
Didn't have OnStar so that was no issue, but the clock used to use cellular signal to update for daylight savings etc. and now it doesn't work.
So that was the purpose of the electrical stuff inside the sharkfin for non-Onstar equipped cars like mine.
Not a big issue, just a FYI

1 - 17 of 17 Posts