SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the sign sez...any reason to avoid them?

Things I've read say that this is a torquier setup than a 16v, which fits into one of the things I'd want in a Snow Saab. I was also surprised to see these are about 15% less efficient in mpg's...is that true?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Like the sign sez...any reason to avoid them?

Things I've read say that this is a torquier setup than a 16v, which fits into one of the things I'd want in a Snow Saab. I was also surprised to see these are about 15% less efficient in mpg's...is that true?
If not more, if you drive it to have fun all the time you'll be closer to 50-65% of the MPG's of a 16v.

Mechanical fuel injection is difficult and or expensive to repair if it breaks, hard to DIY. You need special tools that are an investment if you want to keep the car for a long time (dwell meter, fuel pressure gauge etc)

I love the fact my 8v 5 door is not common here in Australia, I love the T3 with the 8v combination, gives you a great kick in the rear when the MFI is running properly. But hey I'm converting my to t5 so I'm not that happy am I...

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If not more, if you drive it to have fun all the time you'll be closer to 50-65% of the MPG's of a 16v.

Mechanical fuel injection is difficult and or expensive to repair if it breaks, hard to DIY. You need special tools that are an investment if you want to keep the car for a long time (dwell meter, fuel pressure gauge etc)

I love the fact my 8v 5 door is not common here in Australia, I love the T3 with the 8v combination, gives you a great kick in the rear when the MFI is running properly. But hey I'm converting my to t5 so I'm not that happy am I...
This is good feedback. ;ol; Is the mechanical injection any different than the injection used in an early/mid 80's e30? Never really had problem with the Bosch system in my 318i, but that was that and this is this...

I'm really surprised at the difference in fuel consumption. :confused: But mpg's alone wouldn't stop me from getting this one that's offered to me...other bad stuff would stop me in my tracks though :lol:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Once you get the fuel system right if you are content with the power you wont have to touch it again. You could spend up to $1000 getting it right (500 for Fuel distributor rebuild - cannot DIY, $160 for injectors $200 for warm up regulator, I had to buy a new fuel pump lol)

bear in mind my car sat for 7 years before being resurrected.

People tell me I'm crazy for wanting to T5 my 8v, if only I had done it before I spent the $1000 on an obsolete fuel system, grrrrrr. T5ing a c900 costs
- 200 for parts
- 200 for wideband
- 150 for canusb/combiadaptor
- 150 for custom fuel rail
- 300 left over for things like, fuel lines, speed input device, other fuses relays, insulation etc etc etc

Sigh I'm dumb! :(

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I've never found any real issues with the fuel system, it's actually pretty simple and straightforward and simple to test/adjust. What I find is that people screw with the fuel distributor when it's really an ignition problem or vac leak.
The only part that is really, really, really hard to find is the exhaust manifold. And they crack.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only part that is really, really, really hard to find is the exhaust manifold. And they crack.
I own a welder :cool: I know what you mean though...

Fortunately, this one seems to run well and is only barely barely a little sketchy at idle. And it's cheap. The goal here is a "beater with a heater" as I like to call them :cheesy:

Ps: see my avatar? with a Xmas tree sticking out the back of my 'vert while it's snowing? That's what I'm looking to avoid this winter:lol:

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I own a welder :cool: I know what you mean though...

Fortunately, this one seems to run well and is only barely barely a little sketchy at idle. And it's cheap. The goal here is a "beater with a heater" as I like to call them :cheesy:

Ps: see my avatar? with a Xmas tree sticking out the back of my 'vert while it's snowing? That's what I'm looking to avoid this winter:lol:
HAHA :lol: I only just noticed that! I love the saab hatchback it is so useful, I've put an engine hoist in there!

I think the problem is that cast iron doesn't weld very well does it?

Mine's not cracked as far as I can tell it isn't making any funny sounds. Just wish I painted it with high temp paint when I replaced the head :roll: It looks hideous

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I'll be honest, most of the Saab's I've had have been more beater then show. Best winter beater you can find.
The manifolds don't weld well, but you can make a lasting repair by heating it good and brazing.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I myself would not mind having a 8V turbo hatchback

About the FI, AFAIK it is the same as in the old Jettas and Golfs. My 87 Jetta's CIS never let me down. And I knew people who knew how to mod it. Rebuilding it is not that hard, and you can use Mercedes and Volvos for part donors. There is a lot of people who tear the fuel distributors apart and mix and match something interesting.

·
Premium Member
3,014 Posts
People tell me I'm crazy for wanting to T5 my 8v, if only I had done it before I spent the $1000 on an obsolete fuel system, grrrrrr. T5ing a c900 costs
- 200 for parts
- 200 for wideband
- 150 for canusb/combiadaptor
- 150 for custom fuel rail
- 300 left over for things like, fuel lines, speed input device, other fuses relays, insulation etc etc etc

Sigh I'm dumb! :(
Add me to that list. ^

You make the process much more complicated by trying to add trionic to an 8v. :confused: Why? Are trying to make it harder than it needs to be?

Your price list is quite optimistic. I would also add.. you're looking at a minimum of $200 if not more just to sort out a crank signal for trionic.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Add me to that list. ^

You make the process much more complicated by trying to add trionic to an 8v. :confused: Why? Are trying to make it harder than it needs to be?

Your price list is quite optimistic. I would also add.. you're looking at a minimum of $200 if not more just to sort out a crank signal for trionic.
What a stupid comment, no I'm not trying to make it harder than it needs to be. Do you think adding a 16v head with new chain, tensioner and sprockets is cheap or 'less' difficult. Go read the thread on worldwide saab forums (Emmetts) under horsepower. I don't mind people asking questions but when you make glib comments like that it's not cool.

FYI the only 2 things that would be different with an 8 valve head
- fuel rail - I'll just make one up myself.
- DI cassette issue - about 6-7 other people have used spark plug wires to increase the reach of the DI cassette, these were all on 8v cars or on completely different branded cars. People said they still have knock detection, it may be less sensitive but if you were concerned you could always just change the knock sensitivity maps to compensate for the loss in the plug wires. I find it hard to believe doing it this way destroys the DIC function because 2 of the cars doing it are running something like 400hp and 600nm torque.

More than anything I am going to prove it can be done by anyone, for the point that there are so many haters that think 16v is the only way to go. It might be the ideal way but it isn't the only way. if I want to I can always change the head later and all I'll have to do is revert back to 9000 fuel rail.

Sorry to hijack the thread scantar.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hijack the thread scantar.
No problem...it was getting boring anyway :lol:

Thinking of passing on this 8vTurby. It's June (start of summer here...start of winter there) so I have time to hunt down the right Snowmobile. Good info though!

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
You may find a nice 16v spg lol ;)

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Premium Member
11,587 Posts
I'm going to defend the 8v a little here :)

K-jet is very reliable. Very. And yes it's obsolete, but so are all other FI systems fitted to any other c900.

Next to no electronics to worry about (even less on non-US cars), spares readily available, most parts rebuildable, realtively small amount of diagnostic tools needed (A pressure valve kit and a multimeter).

As for T5, (assuming onto a 16v engine ;)) yes it's great, does a fantastic job, but have you seen the price for a new (and Saab specific so how long will they be available for?) DI Cassette?

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I'm going to defend the 8v a little here :)

K-jet is very reliable. Very. And yes it's obsolete, but so are all other FI systems fitted to any other c900.

Next to no electronics to worry about (even less on non-US cars), spares readily available, most parts rebuildable, realtively small amount of diagnostic tools needed (A pressure valve kit and a multimeter).

As for T5, (assuming onto a 16v engine ;)) yes it's great, does a fantastic job, but have you seen the price for a new (and Saab specific so how long will they be available for?) DI Cassette?
Yes hence why Im not throwing the MFI away I'll keep it, my car one day may be worth a lot more with the crapola FI system in it. I love it's reliability. I wish it had lambda so I wasn't so viciously assassinating the environment around me.

DIC's are available aftermarket nutcase ;) but I know they are big $

T7 coil packs are rumored to be adaptable, but like anything with parts becoming scarce people find ingenious ways around them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts