SaabCentral Forums banner

Is there an issue with Radweld or Stopleak?

799 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  KevinC 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a slight coolant leak on my 9000CSE 2.3FPT.

Is there any problem with leak-stopping stuff such as Radweld or Stopleak?

Bryan

#2 ·
Depends on the condition of your car and how long you plan to keep driving it.

If your car is on a low budget/minimum maintenance and you do not plan on keeping it too much longer the stop leak products are great and will work for moderate leaks.

Otherwise you may be concerned that the stop leak might create problems elsewhere in your cooling system, and just change the leaking component for a new or junkyard replacement.

#3 ·
KevinC said:
Depends on the condition of your car and how long you plan to keep driving it.

If your car is on a low budget/minimum maintenance and you do not plan on keeping it too much longer the stop leak products are great and will work for moderate leaks.

Otherwise you may be concerned that the stop leak might create problems elsewhere in your cooling system, and just change the leaking component for a new or junkyard replacement.
Problem is, Kevin, that I can't see where it's leaking from - just a trickle down the front of the block. It leaks when cold and engine off but I'm not sure if it leaks when hot and running. Perhaps it does but evaporates quickly.

Bryan

G
#4 ·
Hi Bryan.

Don't use rad-weld or any other 'stop-leak' quick fix thing.

It can cause big problems elsewhere in the system, particularly the water pump.

The Saab cooling system is relatively simple with few pipes, most of which have easy access.

Easiest way to find a leak is to, on a dry day, slide a large sheet of cardboard between the front wheels and let the engine run for a good long while. If you have aircon, switch to 'econ' mode and set the temp to 'lo'.

This ensures the minimum engine cooling is applied.

A leak should present itself relatively quickly, however it may also take some time before it shows.

#6 ·
Returned said:
Hi Bryan.

Don't use rad-weld or any other 'stop-leak' quick fix thing.

It can cause big problems elsewhere in the system, particularly the water pump.

The Saab cooling system is relatively simple with few pipes, most of which have easy access.

Easiest way to find a leak is to, on a dry day, slide a large sheet of cardboard between the front wheels and let the engine run for a good long while. If you have aircon, switch to 'econ' mode and set the temp to 'lo'.

This ensures the minimum engine cooling is applied.

A leak should present itself relatively quickly, however it may also take some time before it shows.
Hi Returned
I can see where the water is running to - it rolls down an angled plate near the front nearside suspension arm. Tracing it back it looks like it is running down the lower half of the front of the block. But I can't see where it is originating.

Thought that it might be from around the water pump or even the other end around the temp sensor - which might be faulty because the gauge is indicating high (over half way when cold) - but both seem dry. I can't see the source of the leak and the exhaust manifold prevents me from tracing the trickle any further up the block.
Any ideas?
Bryan

#8 ·
If you have not already done this, you might remove each hose from the waterpump/coolant expansion tank/lower radiator ect. and confirm the condition of both the hose and the clamp. Change them all if any look bad.

Hope it is something simple. I do not think water pump leaks are common on Saabs. Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.