2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
219 Posts
I did a quick google search

QUOTES
"an aftermarket tranny cooler is just an oil cooler so yes it'll work"

"I wouldnt use a auto trans cooler for engine oil.
Autos run less pressure than the engine for one, engine runs thicker oil and proper oil coolers are out there so why not use them. I would especially not use some secondhand auto cooler for engine oil, thats just nasty
"

I have no idea if this is true, but maybe someone else will chime in

·
Registered
599 Posts
Taking an educated guess here, but the fluid that's being run between the two are entirely different. Engine oil is thicker, hotter, etc., so I would expect the engine oil cooler to have different lines, fittings, better cooling material, etc. One quick way to check is if they have different part numbers? But I would have to agree, I would not use a trans cooler as an oil cooler. Get one specifically designed as an oil cooler, just to be safe.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I see your dilemma. I just looked at the cooler in your link, and it does specify that it's a trans cooler, not an oil cooler. But the compact dimensions are appealing. One could mount that thing practically anywhere. I did some searching in Summit's site, and came across a few other oil coolers:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-15302/

This is only a few dollars more than the one you posted, but it's considerably larger. That's good because I'm sure it'll cool the oil MUCH better than the one you linked to, but because of it's larger size, you'll be limited on where you could put it. Probably have to mount one like this in front of the radiator, or inner fender well, or some place like that.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-1240/

This one's not as big as the one above, but it's almost three times the price as the one you posted.

'Course another option would be to buy two of those small ones in your link, and use them in series. That should certainly cool the oil better than just using one by itself, and still save you money over buying one of the larger units. So you'd have the cooling efficiency of the larger units by using two of the smaller ones, and keep your numerous mounting options because of their smaller size. Just remember to double clamp those hoses!

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For sure on the double clamps! The reason the transmission coolers are a better deal is because they also have the mounting hardware and 10ft of high temp oil hose that comes with the kit. They don't seem to include any of that with just the engine oil coolers :/ Otherwise, yea I'd just mount that badboy in front of my radiator

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
transmission(auto) coolers fit in the water hose pipe just along from the bottom of the rad, and have the oil in/outlet pipes on the tubed brass body engine oil coolers are just like the water rad, but with an in and out pipe and the air flow does the rest

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got a cheap derale trans cooler off summit and installed it in front of my radiator with hose claps. Been bashing the hell out of the engine and not a drop of oil, so...I guess its OK. The engine is now having trouble getting to operating temperature, its perfect. ;ol;

1 - 7 of 7 Posts