SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
My 2003 Saab 9-3 SE Convertible has a B205R that's rated at 205HP stock. I'm not certain, but I think the letter after B205 indicated what turbo and ECU it uses, but I can't see why bolting a different turbo and adjusting the ECU would be an issue. Again, don't quote me, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
;ol;

Does someone have both versions to compare?

I did a lot of search and didn´t find any info on this.

·
Registered
19,665 Posts
I think the general consensus is that the T7 is smoother in operation than the T5 due to improved engine management. I know mine are like that, although a comparison of any two specific highly used engines is a crap shoot.

It might be slightly quieter due to the two cat setup, but otherwise I think they'd be the same. Likely no difference in sound level. Exhaust systems would make more difference.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Honestly, the only thing that separates my '99 and '01 in any real fashion is in fuel economy.

Keep from having fun with the go pedal and the T7 powered '01 gets significantly better economy.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
I asked this because I had red the T5 engines were supposedly even quieter than T7 engines thanks to the "extra" soundproofing as they´re more "overbuilt".

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks guys.
I asked this because I had red the T5 engines were supposedly even quieter than T7 engines thanks to the "extra" soundproofing as they´re more "overbuilt".
I have a 99 9-3 2.0HPT SE and my Girlfriend has a 00 9-3 2.0LPT base. My observation is based on these two cars. I would say my 99 is quieter as far as actual mechanical noise is concerned, however the 00 seems smoother and definitely gets better fuel mileage. The 99 also makes about 75 more horsepower, so that comes into play on the fuel mileage. I tend to use the "happy pedal" quite a lot, my girl, not so much! I'm betting that the lighter rotating and reciprocating mass of the 00 makes it smoother and contributes to the economy difference.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I thought the difference was promarily in pistons. The xx5 engine pistons have the upper ring located much closer to the crown of the piston. This increases fuel efficiency but also exposes the lubricating oil to higher combustion temperatures - one of the causes of engine sludging.

But this may all be urban legend too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.