SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard rumors about Saab only offering the Linear next year. Does anyone know for sure. i know it is not being listed on some of the fleet lists but this does not mean it is not going to be offered to the public. Anyone have some info from a reliable source?

·
Registered
6 Posts
TC said:
I have heard rumors about Saab only offering the Linear next year. Does anyone know for sure. i know it is not being listed on some of the fleet lists but this does not mean it is not going to be offered to the public. Anyone have some info from a reliable source?
No one knows for certain, but several Atlanta-area dealers think not and even said they're getting accessories catalogs with Aero related parts in them - finally. Since they're right on top of Norcross, I'd give them at least a bit of creedence. One dealer did say they won't be storing cars at port anymore, so that may affect surpluses and future pricing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I chatted with my dealer on the test drive. He said if anything, they were keeping the Aero, since it is outselling the Linear my a large margin (I think he said 2 to 1).

·
Registered
25 Posts
CZ-75 said:
No one knows for certain, but several Atlanta-area dealers think not and even said they're getting accessories catalogs with Aero related parts in them - finally. Since they're right on top of Norcross, I'd give them at least a bit of creedence. One dealer did say they won't be storing cars at port anymore, so that may affect surpluses and future pricing.
how would that affect future pricing? would it make it go up or down

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
CZ-75 said:

saab's headquarters are in Detroit now

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would gather no. It's not just NOT in Fleet and Commercial information, it's also not in anything else that I have seen referring to the 9-2x for 2006. Everything lists a 175 2.5L only. Perhaps they figured the thing has a lower price point then they thought, and need to strip it to be successful.

And the 5spd Aeros are selling well, the autos are doing terrible. And don't forget they are doing so well because they have a $6000 rebate on them...

A

·
0 Posts
miscreant said:
I would gather no. It's not just NOT in Fleet and Commercial information, it's also not in anything else that I have seen referring to the 9-2x for 2006. Everything lists a 175 2.5L only. Perhaps they figured the thing has a lower price point then they thought, and need to strip it to be successful.

And the 5spd Aeros are selling well, the autos are doing terrible. And don't forget they are doing so well because they have a $6000 rebate on them...
But there is potential for them to do well with a lower rebate now that more buyers are aware of Saab and the 9-2x. Maybe this was the showroom traffic Saab wanted, even if it was done in a bizarre way.:roll:

Here's an article about GM's excess supply and how little (comparatively) there is after June. Saab still has a 91 day supply though, mostly 9-5s and 9-7x stuck in Ohio I presume. http://www.autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102753

·
Registered
46 Posts
I felt that at the package offered, that a 1500 price premium over the wrx was warrented for the style and added options (Little things like the alarm system, sound deadening and other doodads) and the name with the warranty. But a 5k difference was unwarranted. Now if they had a 2.5l from the legacy, and a 6-speed from the STi, it'd be worth the 31k asked for.

They started to sell once the price got close to the WRX, and then went flying out the door with the rebate and hot-button pricing that dropped the price below a WRX. Now they are WAY underpriced, and there is not the supply to keep up with the demand. Economics 101, hit your price point, to low and you won't get the $$ return and won't keep up stock, too high and you will have alot of unsold product.

So what does this have to do with the 92x???

I think it will be discontinued. There is still enough linears and auto aeros to sell for a few months (till the end of the year), by then we should be close enough to the NEW small Saab. That was the whole point of the 92X to begin with. With the WRX changing with a facelift and some new mechanicals, it doesn't make sense from a production stand point.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Samurai Troll said:
So what does this have to do with the 92x???

I think it will be discontinued. There is still enough linears and auto aeros to sell for a few months (till the end of the year), by then we should be close enough to the NEW small Saab. That was the whole point of the 92X to begin with. With the WRX changing with a facelift and some new mechanicals, it doesn't make sense from a production stand point.
No way the new small Saab is coming early next year. We'd know about it by now. We found out about the 9-6x production decision when someone reported on the tooling that had been shipped to the factory -- and I think it's still 12 months away.

The earliest, absolute earliest a 9-2x replacement comes in is fall '06 as an '07 model. Which leaves a full model year left for the existing 9-2x.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't think that it'll be early next year. Mor like you say of a late 06 as a 07 model. My point is that there will likely be no more saab 92xs before that due to tooling costs at the factory in japan which is gearing up for a 2.5l usdm impreza.

a short run of 2.5l 92xs would be very unlikely, but it would be sweet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think you guys are forgetting that these decisions are not made based on month-to-month successes. The decision to continue the 9-2x and to produce XXXX number of them is set, pretty much in soft stone by now (Saab's probably hooked into Subaru producing a certain amount + or -, for a specific period of time). I guarantee Saab knows when the new compact model will be released, and it certainly will not be as an 06, we're about to hit 06 model runs. The fact we've seen nothing about a turbo model yet would indicate to me that the 06 9-2x will be a lower price point, 2.5L-NA-only car to bridge to the true Saab version in 07 or 08.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts