SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 08' 9-3 doesn't display individual pressures but that pressure is low. I replaced three of the four two years ago.
I bought another with the assumption that the TMPS sensor has failed. When replaced, is the vehicle self learning so the light extinguishes in the cluster?

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Nope. You need to use TECH2 to start new sensor learning.

·
Registered
2008 Saab 9-3 Aero FWD 6MT
321 Posts
I have personally never had to relearn, but I think it depends on the sensor you get. You can also get an ESID and it will tell you individual pressures :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not changing the module. Just the unit on one tire. It is the correct 433MHZ unit.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Replaced all four wheels yesterday with Schrader 20159's from Rock Auto on my 2010 9-3. Did the bead break at home somewhat improvised. Went reasonably well. Wanted to get this done before I go for new tires.

My biggest challenge was the retainer nuts on two of them were Frozen and had to be drilled out. Also DON"T drop the sensor inside the tire. Spent a bunch of time fishing two of them out through the narrow gap between the rim and the tire,

Anyway, the real question is what if anything I should expect to see on the instrument panel after doing this. I have seen nothing at all change after a few local trips. no lights no messages nothing. Am I good? I am almost tempted to deflate one of the tires to see if it is working.

Any thoughts?
Dave

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Good to go. Since you’ve driven it a bit deflate one tire by 5psi or so and take the car around the block. You should get a dash message.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The TPMS can be checked with a techII. If you don’t have one it’s worth noting that it can take a few mins (I believe up to 10) of driving for the system to have adequate feedback to flash the warning method. You could always check by deflating the tire a bit as was said. Personally I don’t know the cutoff for the warning message so I would deflate it at least 10psi for a more definitive test.

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3T
93 Posts
Most tire shops will have a tool to do a relearn for tpms. It scans each sensor then plugs into obd 2 port. Sometimes after in some vehicles you will still have to drive up to 20 minutes for reset. Should not cost anything. I know Town Fair Tire where I work doesn't charge anything for a relearn. Takes less then 5 minutes. Also in a way they are self learning. But not when you replace a sensor. Computer needs to know new id's or light will stay on. And no you don't need a tech 2 for this you can use it yes but Schrader and Autel make tools.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just to confirm for a 2008 and newer 9-3 there is no relearn. It is all self learning. Just put the new sensors in and go. I never even saw any indication of a change until I deliberately lowered the pressure on one tire.

·
Registered
2006 Saab 9-3T
93 Posts
When you put in a new sensor you are suppose to do a relearn otherwise the computed doesn't know the new ID. Unless you just copy the old one then you don't have to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can't comment on the older 9-3's but for 2008+ this is NOT correct. 2008+ have an entirely different TPMS system using different part numbers for the sensors and do not require any intervention. I just proved this on my 2010.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts