SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought our saab last week with 85k miles on it. its a 2001 V6 SE. i got a warranty record and it shows the timing belt was not replaced at 60k as the book shows it should have been. the service manual says a saab dealership will replace it before 100k at no charge. i called the closest saab dealership (in utah 3 hours away) and they said it has to be done within 2000 miles of the 60k or they cannot do it for free. so are they screwing me over and gonna make me pay $450 if its not already been done? i feel like they are and i may try to contact saabusa corporate or something to verify this. is there even a way of telling if the timing belt is going out and needs replacing?

·
Premium Member
12,576 Posts
I cannot comment on the contractual side of things, hopefully someone stateside will help on that, mechanically the belt itself is very tough and does not look bad, the pulleys tend to be the weakspot and changing everything [a timing kit] is the smart way forward.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Call Saab USA and verify. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
350 Posts
It also says that in my manual that the first one is free if done before 100k miles and it says nothing else. Nothing about it having to be done around 60k or why would they even say 100k. I would definitely make the call because that sounds like bs to me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so i ended up calling saab usa who is going to contact the dealership. the warranty record shows the car was brought in at 60k for 3 recall parts and they should have also done the timing belt so i think i am going to try to use that to get them to cover this. i also think if i have to call the dealership again i am asking for the supervisor and not just the kid who answers all the calls. if it had to be done at 60k they would have specifically said that and not before 100k as the manual states.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts