SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a '53 plate 9-5 2.0LPT with 80,000 miles on the clock and has full dealer service history. It had both the #6 PCV kit fitted and the sump dropped last year.

The wife was driving it the other day when it started puffing out blue-ish smoke. The car went into limp home mode (CEL light and traction control lights came on) and had reduced power. She said at one point the car tried to die on her but kept going.

I drove the car the next day and the engine was sweet enough but just released blue smoke (from the exhaust) on start up and then further puffs when changing gear, which were more noticeable if using more revs.

Couple of things to note -
1. car won't start unless I give it a little throttle - is this the limp home mode?
2. a month ago the engine ate a valve on number 1 cylinder. Abbott Racing rebuilt the head, replacing all no. 1 valves and no 4 piston (as this was damaged by valve fragments). Weirdly no 3 piston showed signs of scoring in the bore and was re-honed by them too.

I am thinking turbo because of the age, mileage and symptons - but I am puzzled why the car CEL light would have come on and gone into limp home mode.

Any opinions?

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
hmmm there are a number of factors that could have caused the CEL, and i can think of a few as to why they would be coupled with the turbo going (yes, unfortunately it probably is on it's last legs depending how MUCH smoke there is). blue smoke is almost ALWAYS an indication of failing turbo seals.

i would think that some oil that is getting through your turbo seals may be blowing on your o2 sensors and through your catalytic converter (again, you have to be burning quite a lot for this to happen) and if the sensors or cat go, you're left with a CEL.

i couldn't say why you wouldve gone into limp home though. Anyway if you could get the codes pulled and post them up here that would help a lot as well. Also, to get a better idea of what shape your turbo is in get the car up on jackstands and pull the intercooler hose on the throttle body side, and see how much oil is in there. Ideally you want a very small amount (less than a few teaspoons?) and if you have anything more than 1/2 cup of oil in there then you're likely due for a new turbo..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.