SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my way home today, I started of up a steep hill and lost boost pressure. The turbo indicator would go up to 1/3, no more. Does this mean my turbo need replaced? The car still runs, but anything that is demanding it hums (whines) along. Can this be done DIY? I've replaced water pump etc...

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
You say the car hums (whines) along, are you hearing a high pitch noise from the engine bay? Is there blue smoke coming from the exhaust or when you start the engine cold do you see smoke coming out? These may point to a failing turbo. There are other things that can cause under boost, check the FAQ for boosting problems.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whines, yes it does

There is a high pitched whine when the engine is under load. I can take off from a stop ok, but when I'm going up a hill or trying to get to highway speed I hear the whine form the engine bay. My next question is it ok to drive it like this until I get it fixed?

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Check all the hoses and vacuum lines under the hood for a leak. The smaller vacuum lines tend to break apart after some time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts