SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t. Two weeks ago I was driving for a fairly long amount of time, I had almost gotten back to my house and while I was going up a hill, the car started to overheat. I pulled over, shut it off, checked the coolant and it was full. I put on the heater and drove home and made sure to keep the heat of the car below the red. We assumed it was a broken thermostat so we took the car to the mechanic. The mechanic confirmed it was overheating and showed us how messed up the thermostat was so we replaced it. We started driving home and the car did not overheat and was running fine and all of the sudden it lost all of its power and the check engine light came on and started flashing. We took the car back and the mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer and it said it had a misfire in cylinder 4. He checked the head gasket for an issue but it was fine and then changed the spark plugs since we have not for a very long amount of time and he said they were very worn. We started to drive home and it happened again so we brought it back and he said the DI pack was cracked when he removed it so he thought that may have been broken as well. We ordered a new one and had it put in and we drove home and it seemed to run fine and it did not have another cylinder misfire but all of the sudden it stalled and would not turn back on. It got towed back to the mechanic and he said he thinks the DI pack that we got may have been faulty and he wants to replace it again. Is this actually possible or could my car possibly have some other issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Anything I can ask him next time I have to go see him would be great.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have a 2001 Saab 9-5 2.3t. Two weeks ago I was driving for a fairly long amount of time, I had almost gotten back to my house and while I was going up a hill, the car started to overheat. I pulled over, shut it off, checked the coolant and it was full. I put on the heater and drove home and made sure to keep the heat of the car below the red. We assumed it was a broken thermostat so we took the car to the mechanic. The mechanic confirmed it was overheating and showed us how messed up the thermostat was so we replaced it. We started driving home and the car did not overheat and was running fine and all of the sudden it lost all of its power and the check engine light came on and started flashing. We took the car back and the mechanic and he hooked it up to the computer and it said it had a misfire in cylinder 4. He checked the head gasket for an issue but it was fine and then changed the spark plugs since we have not for a very long amount of time and he said they were very worn. We started to drive home and it happened again so we brought it back and he said the DI pack was cracked when he removed it so he thought that may have been broken as well. We ordered a new one and had it put in and we drove home and it seemed to run fine and it did not have another cylinder misfire but all of the sudden it stalled and would not turn back on. It got towed back to the mechanic and he said he thinks the DI pack that we got may have been faulty and he wants to replace it again. Is this actually possible or could my car possibly have some other issue? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Anything I can ask him next time I have to go see him would be great.
Yes its possible but it should be under warranty, and yes it might have other issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it seems like it'd be hard to know without seeing the car itself, but from any of the description, does it seem like anything else in specific could be wrong? Like are any of these problems hinting at a larger one or anything or is this just horrible luck that everything breaks at once.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the first 2 times, it started misfiring about a mile away from the mechanic. The last time where it stalled and wouldn't turn back on, I had drove all the way home, about 9 miles, then gotten gas, and on the way home it happened.

The only error it gave was cylinder 4 misfire

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
The big question is what DIC replacement did you use? Did you buy one made in China or and OEM unit?

Sounds perfectly legit.

Overheating problem and DIC problem could be unrelated, but if it was overheating the heat can cause the DIC to become damaged and misfire. Just replacing the plugs although a good idea doesn't usually fix the problem in my experience.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It might be a China part. I'm not sure. Would that mean if I replaced it, it will still blow again?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
That'sexactly what it would mean. You can use a fair number of aftermarket parts but this is not one of them. BuyOEM or a known good used DIC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I read up on the previous DI packs that this person has sold, and a few of them have had issues with broken connections, but for the most part, they worked. Could it just be a broken connection in the part I bought? He is replacing it currently for no cost though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just picked up the car with the second new DI Cassette, It drove home and felt perfectly fine, but when I opened the hood, it had a massive smell of burning plastic maybe. An odd smell. Is this normal or could this be the sign of another DI failure?

·
Registered
867 Posts
I just picked up the car with the second new DI Cassette, It drove home and felt perfectly fine, but when I opened the hood, it had a massive smell of burning plastic maybe. An odd smell. Is this normal or could this be the sign of another DI failure?
You can pull the DIC and see if the plastic at the bottom is getting deformed, it will start with a bulge near where the spark plug goes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts