SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My '98 9-5 2.3t SE 127K cut out just before I got home yesterday, loud knocking and loss of power when I started it again.

Today it seemed fine in the driveway, but when the engine warmed up after a short journey the knocking started again, with screeching, rattling and a generally what I imagine automotive death to sound like (although the extent of my car mechanical experience to date has been to change the front discs and pads, coolant bypass valve and a few other minor repairs). Removed the oil filler cover and looked like a bit of smoke came out.

I'm not sure whether to have a look at it myself or take it to a garage. Will it be immediately obvious if there's a problem upon removal of the cylinder head? ie hideously worn big end bearings etc?

Sounded quite horrific? If considerable damage has been inflicted, is there anyway back? It's in a car park just now but will tow it home later and remove the head.

Obviously with the age of the car it might be better selling it for spares/repair and looking for another one.

Bah, depressed.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Say last rites if you haven't already. :cry:

The puffs of smoke from the oil filler hole can be a sign that the crank case is being pressurized from a cracked piston...which is likely the cause of the noise.

The shop will likely drop the sump and find that the oil screen is plugged, which was an all-too-common problem in 98-2003 models.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
It doesn't sound good... But don't pull the plug until you know for sure. Shame to see another one go to the scrap heap.....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm getting that funeral feeling. Thanks for the quick reply Mike, won't stop me buying another saab. Could kick myself, just out of interest, would there generally have been warning signs I should've picked up on?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Warning signs - maybe yes, maybe no....

Warning signs might have included a flickering oil pressure light or pinging sounds from the engine, but owners who don't frequent boards such as these to learn the dire short term consequences of ignoring what appear to be minor items would never know.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Definitely sounds like another sludged up engine. If you buy another 9-5 from the MY98-03 get the sump removed and the oil pick up screen cleaned as a matter of urgency. If you had known about it you could almost certainly have avoided going down this route with your current 9-5. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts