SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1989 Saab 900 Turbo 4 door automatic. The body and the interior are in pretty good shape. About 8 months ago, my transmission started slipping and I brought it to my mechanic and he said that it was going bad. However, he said that he could put some kind of special "****" into it which will act like a "bandaid" and make it last a while longer. He said that it might last 6 months more but it has lasted 8 months. Also, I am leaking power steering fluid from the rack and pinion and maybe even from the power steering pump. It is getting worse for I have to add power steering fluid about every 3 days now. Can anybody give me some suggestions? Should I spend the money (money is tight right now) and replace the rack and pinion? What if I also need a new power steering pump? The transmission is going to go at some point. Is it worth fixing it? What is the best method to do so? I live in Los Angeles just in case some locals have any suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,170 Posts
I don't know a lot about auto transmissions but I don't recall anyone advising to add any 'special stuff'. A lot of problems seem to be solved by doing a full transmission service, cleaning the filter and doing a band adjustment. Others on here should be able to supply more details, but there's a link here:

http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c900AutoTransmissionservice.htm

Loss of power steering fluid is often the reservoir hose clamps which have come loose. Any other symptoms at all? If steering is stiff when cold that sounds like morning sickness - usually a new rack is required. Do a search on the words "leaking steering rack" or similar.

Welcome to Saab Central :cool:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Power Steering

I Had A Rach Leak A While Back , Mechanic At Work Told Me To Add Half And Half Stp To The Pump,leak Stopped Been 5 Years Now And No Leak No More . Try It What Have You Got To Lose.????

Baggy

·
Registered
314 Posts
Do you love your car?
my 1990 is strong runner but not good interior, I love her to death and fix her all the time.
Time for her to retire and me get some newer NG900 but I love my C900 and wont ever let her go.

Depends on how you feel, I'd fix it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It sounds like you have no major problems, so keeping your car running will cost a lot less than replacing it (especially with another used car that will have its own set of wallet-deflating problems).

The P/S leak is usually the return hose from the pump to the reservoir. Replace this hose first (about $20; check www.eeuroparts.com for price).

If your steering is working OK, your rack is probably good. The pump will warn you of failure by getting noisy (grinding/screeching bearing).

Regarding your trans, "magic" additives only mask problems; they don't solve them. If you give a more detailed description of how your trans was/is behaving, we should be able to advise you about its health and future prospects.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts