SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a 1993 Saab 9000 CSE for sale for only $300. The thing is though is he says the check engine light says it needs a new throttle body potentiometer. It has 175k miles on it. It runs but you need to constantly adjust the gas. It also makes a knocking noise when it runs and I don't know if it is just because of the throttle body potentiometer or something more serious. My dad who is very good with cars says it may be the main bearing. Let me know what your opinions are.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Does this car have TCS?

Most SAAB 9000 use a throttle cable, not a potentiometer. The TCS cars used a potentiometer and when they break they are expensive or impossible to find.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does this car have TCS?

Most SAAB 9000 use a throttle cable, not a potentiometer. The TCS cars used a potentiometer and when they break they are expensive or impossible to find.
I am not sure if it does. All I know is the code from the check engine light said it needed a potentiometer. And you are definitely right. I cannot find one for sale anywhere. I think I am going to pass on this one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Before you totally give up on the car, try cleaning the potentiometer plug and make sure the contacts are clean. You'll find it attached to the throttle pedal inside the car near the top. I had the same problem with my old '92 and cleaning the contacts cured it.

Do a search for "potentiometer. There's a PDF of a service bulletin related to it if I recall.

Worth a try, anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts