SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To add a supercharger to a 2.0t ? And has it been done?

This would be very interesting to see. Since VW has a 1.4L gold that runs with a supcharger + turbo.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Anything's possible with the right $. Never seen it done before.

I'd hazard an educated guess that you'd need custom modified software to deal with the instant boost that a supercharger would provide. That's pretty much a given - you'd likely get a dreaded CEL without it.

You'd also probably need a centrifugal blower since I doubt there's a roots type to 'bolt-on' to the 2.0L engine, let alone being able to physically fit the latter in the engine bay, not that I've ever looked into it. It would be a bit tricky to fit either really, we don't exactly have a great deal of space.

Possible? Ye$.
Worth it? No (IMO).

The 2.0t Stage 3 packs quite a punch and would be far cheaper than putting a blower on it. The minimal lag that the little Garrett exhibits would minimise any advantage that a blower would provide. If you're talking off the line stuff, then the turbo is plenty for our FWD's. The boost is already limited in 1st gear (at least) in an attempt to eliminate wheel spin off the line.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it would be an awesome project and you'd probably get noticeable results, but the expense would be pretty substantial (if my interpretation is along the lines of what would need to be done). I'd buy an 08 Turbo X before I put a supercharger on the 2.0t.

Just my .02

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the reason why i wonder is because the Cobalt Ss is a 2.0 supercharged engine.

And secondly the VW TDI ive seenw ith a supercharger + turbo. its a small 1.4L

Well obviously it would be expensive and yes computer management would also be in play. Just wondering if anyone has ever done it ;)

thanks for the reply

·
Registered
615 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:

Well obviously it would be expensive and yes computer management would also be in play. Just wondering if anyone has ever done it ;)

thanks for the reply
I haven't seen anything of the sort. But I wish the 93SS TTid was available in the USA. I would love to have one.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The VW is a great engineering feat, but is a horrible car to drive, and the engine is nowhere near as nice to drive as say a Micra SuperTurbo, another compound charged motor.

As for the Saturn, the Ecotec blocks were always designed as a modular engine design, and so the basic block was always going to be able to run n/a, super, or tubocharged.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
michaLcoughliN said:

Look around the mini cooper forums, before they switched to turbos, they used super chargers and people would add turbos to the set up and get amazing power... They all call it "Twin Charging"

·
Registered
485 Posts
1.4l + turbo + supercharger = 170hp???

Seems like a waste of time to me man. You'll have equally as hard a time trying to just add(and be able to utilize) a larger turbo. You'd get better performance gains if you just invested your money into bypassing the t8 system to change the fuel curve and up the boost. But what do I know? If you're gonna add a supercharger, you might as well try and throw a small turbine under there too :p

Bottom line: it IS possible, but would cost waaayyyy too much money, and wouldn't even provide any real significant gains. You'd save a ton of money investing in a larger turbo and a stand alone engine management system if you're going to go through the trouble.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sleeper900 said:
1.4l + turbo + supercharger = 170hp???

Seems like a waste of time to me man. You'll have equally as hard a time trying to just add(and be able to utilize) a larger turbo. You'd get better performance gains if you just invested your money into bypassing the t8 system to change the fuel curve and up the boost. But what do I know? If you're gonna add a supercharger, you might as well try and throw a small turbine under there too :p

Bottom line: it IS possible, but would cost waaayyyy too much money, and wouldn't even provide any real significant gains. You'd save a ton of money investing in a larger turbo and a stand alone engine management system if you're going to go through the trouble.

I was talking about adding a supercharger unit to the 2.0t

Waste of money? i dont really think there is such a word as wasting money when it comes to tuning.

Ide say if its possible, why not? I would. SC for the instant boost and the turbo would pick up for the higher rpm boost.

Regardless of that, would be awesome to see ;)

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
The supercharger should bolt up using the cobalt intake manifold. You'd have to figure out how to run your vacuum lines and all the emissions stuff related. Use the belt setup from the cobalt ss. I have NO idea how you're going to route your intake in order to utilize the turbo *and* the supercharger. You might even have to look into swapping the battery and air filter side-to-side. If you have the money and time, I say go for it. It sounds like an interesting project.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts