SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if it would be possible to clean the inside of the headlight glass, some water and dirt got in when I went to the automatic car wash and it`s pretty dirty inside! Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I don't think that plastic lense is removable if it were a glass lenses it could be removed.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Sorry your headlights are plastic and they are not removable.... I guess you could always attempt to do it with a rag on a stick going through the headlight hole, but I doubt you'd be happy with the results.

·
Registered
313 Posts
How did the water and dirt get inside? Is the bulb holder damaged?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I know that the boys in the Pug 306 forum put them in the oven for 15/20 mins to get the bond soft then they can split it so the can Black Mask the Headlights or can use a blow torch round the edges till the sealant gets hot and gooey then pull the lense off

·
Registered
740 Posts
I read somewhere that you can easily remove the headlight, all the bulbs/cables, and wash it by rinsing inside with some water with detergent. No rags though, as you will scratch the reflector! You can do it as many times as needed to get all the dirt and crud out.

Now the important part - using regular water will cause spots to form on the lens and reflector as they dry (just like on the finish of the car after washing), but since you can't wipe it dry, you need to rinse it at least twice with distilled water, followed by a rinse with pure isopropyl alcohol. The last step will let it dry quickly and should leave it spotless.

I'll try to find a reference where I read this, it has to be somewhere on the web ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
If dirt and water are getting into your headlights you may want to take them off and find the place it's getting in and seal it or matters may get worse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It is plastic. I'll give this a try and update once done... Thanks for all the info. Dirt got in when I went to an automatic car wash, too much pressure water and soap, the headlight is probably not sealed 100% anymore...It did not come from the back as I have both covers on...

·
Registered
63 Posts
It is plastic. I'll give this a try and update once done... Thanks for all the info. Dirt got in when I went to an automatic car wash, too much pressure water and soap, the headlight is probably not sealed 100% anymore...It did not come from the back as I have both covers on...

so whats the update? did you manage to do it??

mine are dirty as well...

·
Registered
800 Posts
if they are HID xenon headlights i'd be VERY cautious about putting any liquid in the housing. there's a motor in there that automatically levels the light beam, and other wires/connections for various electrical connections and the HID control module mounted underneath the housing.

a brand new replacement housing for the xenon lamps runs about $1,000.00, and that's just the housing, no bulbs or control module. you could find a housing on bay for about $300 though.

i did the oven trick with the HIDs on my old maxima, but those lamps were also a lot more simple (no leveling motor) and much cheaper.

understood you want to get them clean, but be careful...and post pics! :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep they are Xenon, and I will not put them in the oven, I will try with a heat gun... If there's dirt going inside, then it must not be sealed that well... I guess. I'm sure I'm not the only one with dirty lights so I'll be posting pics for sure!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
What B~P said.

I have an old broken xenon unit I can stick in the oven. Id hate for you to ruin a working set. The heatgun likely will not work for this. The reason they get stuck in the oven is they need to be heated slowly and broadly for the heat to penetrate into the glue areas. A heat gun will likely get the surface too hot before it will penetrate to the glue. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What B~P said.

I have an old broken xenon unit I can stick in the oven. Id hate for you to ruin a working set. The heatgun likely will not work for this. The reason they get stuck in the oven is they need to be heated slowly and broadly for the heat to penetrate into the glue areas. A heat gun will likely get the surface too hot before it will penetrate to the glue. Been there, done that.
Sure if you want to give it a try that would be great! But why wouldn't the heat gun work?? If I do small sections at the time, heating pulling a bit, heating, pulling, ... wouldn't that work? I'm not sure I would put the complete headlight in the oven as there is a lot of stuff that could be damaged...no?? Also, the AHL module is attached to the headlight housing. I'm not sure it handles high heat so well. What temperature what you use and for how long?? Like 200 F for 30 minutes??

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I guess we will find out at what temp the glue loosens. I dunno. Ill just start out low and work my way up. The problem with the heat gun is exactly what you said. You can only do small sections at a time and that usually leads to a cracked lense since one section is hot and loose and one is cold and stuck. Ive tried it on an old corner light, so Im saying this from first hand experience. It also would make the job painfully slow since you would need to heat each section slowly so you dont fry the plastic before you heat the glue.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess we will find out at what temp the glue loosens. I dunno. Ill just start out low and work my way up. The problem with the heat gun is exactly what you said. You can only do small sections at a time and that usually leads to a cracked lense since one section is hot and loose and one is cold and stuck. Ive tried it on an old corner light, so Im saying this from first hand experience. It also would make the job painfully slow since you would need to heat each section slowly so you dont fry the plastic before you heat the glue.

Yeah I guess you're right, but there's just something that does not feel right of ''cooking'' my headlight. A part from the bulbs, is there other stuff that should be removed prior to cooking lol (Maybe the AHL module?? it's screwed underneath the headlight). It's starting to sound like a project that might not be worth the trouble!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
The control unit is attached to the bottom and comes out with 6 torx screws. Beyond that, I dont think anything else is removable. The unit I will stick in the oven has everything except the bulbs and this control unit, so if something is going to melt, we will find out. Hopefully not though since we have a brand new oven and I dont think my wife would be happy about that. :lol:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts