SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I use synthetic gear oil for the final drive refill? I thought (vague) that I had read somewhere stating that synthetic gear oil shouldn't be used in the final drive for some reason or another. How true is this/ I would like to replace the current oil with some Amsoil.



Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,274 Posts
automatics use gear-oil in the final drive.

manual transmissions engine oil - folklore says saab only specified that for easier shifting when cold and improved synchro wear during the warranty'period.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,286 Posts
kemosaabey said:
.... folklore says saab only specified that for easier shifting when cold and improved synchro wear during the warranty'period.....
..and SAABs were invented by Felix Saab in 1957.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,996 Posts
Jim Mesthene said:
..and SAABs were invented by Felix Saab in 1957.
Jim, is it also true that if you mix frankincense myrrh and gold with Honda MTF at this time of year, that The Lord will look favourably upon your gearbox in the forthcoming year?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
Mr. Trout,

I tried that and am (bought frankincense whilst visiting Dubai last year) replacing my gearbox as we speak. Perhaps the frankincense was synthetic ergo the cause of my tranny failure:x .

This year my concoction shall be honey from a daisy field, Hare-Hold gel and pressed cod liver oil.

pierre
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,286 Posts
Albert Trout said:
...The Lord will look favourably upon your gearbox in the forthcoming year?
SAAB transmissions are not controlled by the Good Lord, but by the Dark Forces.
For best results, use 10w-666
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
I have a 93 vert. Ive just recently dropped in a gearbox for the second time around. Im using 75w-90 with a 33% mixture of lucas oil stabilizer(2qts oil, 1qt lucas). My first gearbox came with the car and died passing a subaru:cheesy:. but lasted years.

Then I bought a rebuilt one from a man named Jim Smart,:roll: who told me to fill it with redline MTF(synthetic):nono; .Obviously, A year later(about a week after warranty was up), it blew. I noticed the casting said 91 900s in yellow crayon.

When i bought the car the owner said he maintained everything himself but Im not sure what he used.

Box #3, I took the easy way out and got an 88 turbo transmission from the local junkyard and just finished fitting a new clutch,(which i hope is right), i had to make different rings for the diaphram, but thats a diffenent story.

to make a long story short, just dont use synthetic
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys! I think that I am going to stick with some stout 80w-90 coventional gear oil for the final drive. I will just change it more often, probably some Pennzoil, or Castrol dino gear oil?


Best Regards:) !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,382 Posts
idiot_saabvant said:
Mr. Trout,

I tried that and am (bought frankincense whilst visiting Dubai last year) replacing my gearbox as we speak. Perhaps the frankincense was synthetic ergo the cause of my tranny failure:x .

This year my concoction shall be honey from a daisy field, Hare-Hold gel and pressed cod liver oil.

pierre
How do you visit Dubai, I mean we only go to this place to "fill up our bank account" for a year and then go back to where the hot ladies live :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks! Jim, what exactly does the final drive consist of in terms of gears, and or its supporting purpose for the operation of the automatic transmission, thanks again:) !
Jim Mesthene said:
Yes.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,286 Posts
91900turbo said:
Thanks! Jim, what exactly does the final drive consist of in terms of gears, and or its supporting purpose for the operation of the automatic transmission, thanks again:) !
It consists of a ring gear, pinion gear, and the spider gears that make up the differential.
The final drive provides a (roughly) 3.5:1 gear reduction, changes the direction of power from longitudinal to transverse, and allows the wheels to be driven at different speeds (for cornering).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Jim!:)
Jim Mesthene said:
It consists of a ring gear, pinion gear, and the spider gears that make up the differential.
The final drive provides a (roughly) 3.5:1 gear reduction, changes the direction of power from longitudinal to transverse, and allows the wheels to be driven at different speeds (for cornering).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
959 Posts
Turbo9k
Then I bought a rebuilt one from a man named Jim Smart,
Never had any problems with Mr smart. I ordered some parts from him. actually he was the only one out of 10 places I called that had the turbo trans. mount bracket and hardware. he also gave me a couple of free-bes. that he just threw in the box. And talked to me multiple times over the phone about the problems I had with my 900, and I live in phoenix. It was probably just a bad tranny. I dont think he would shaft anyone. too nice a guy. as for his secretary...She is not the nicest person to talk to on the phone. Oh also Have you been to his shop? he says he has tons of c900 parts and cars. I was going to make a trip up there to get some stuff. what say you?
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top