SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just started wondering this. Whenever I do brakes I usually push the piston back into the caliper by leveraging a couple tools between the old brake pads. It pushes the piston into the caliper and allows room for the new pads to fit onto the rotor. I've never loosened the bleed screw to allow fluid to come out when doing this though, it's always tight.

Is that bad for the seals/valves within the brake system, or is this an ok practice to follow?

Thanks, got brakes on the mind

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I've heard arguments both for and against opening the bleed nipples when retracting the pistons in the calipers.

The "no" argument mostly centers on the possibility of getting dirt and air into the system.

The "yes" argument mostly centers on keeping the dirtiest fluid away from the ABS valve block and possibly causing a valve to get stuck.

I've done both, will probably do both in the future, but I'm mostly on the side of getting rid of the old fluid anyway.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks. Still havent gotten a chance to look at your remote key post Bob, haven't forgotten about that. Swept up in this brake thing. And now I just got word that the driver's side window on my saab broke and is sitting in the door panel...Lots to do this week! Thanks both of you for all your help it's really appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts