SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
i have an 03 and i use a 2-ton, i would also use a jack stand, but thats personal preference, something about being under a car makes me nervous

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
i have an 03 and i use a 2-ton, i would also use a jack stand, but thats personal preference, something about being under a car makes me nervous
U should ALWAYS use jack stands when going under any car.

And yes, a 2 ton should get the job done, but use jack stands!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
but thats personal preference, something about being under a car makes me nervous
I do that too, but I don' think of it as a preference. Jacks fail or slip all the time, and jack stands are only 20 bucks or so. Cheap insurance, as they say.

Whenever possible, I prefer ramps, that makes me feel safer, somehow. Though I'm sure these can fail, too.

Otherwise, 2 tons is 4000 pounds, and our cars weigh less than that. Plus, you will only be lifting part of the car.

·
Registered
71 Posts
well with not knowing wether or not that size jack would work or not leaves me to beleive that this person might not know what they are doing thats why i threw out the jack stand comment, no need to start bashing me. Everything is a preference!

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Using jack stands isn't a preference, it's a necessity... do you seriously want to risk the car falling on you and killing you? it happens more often than you think

·
Registered
344 Posts
2 ton will be fine, definately use jack stands, or at the very least when you take off your wheel, slide it under the chassis. There are only so many Saabers in the world and we want them all to stay alive as long as possible ;ol;

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
speaking of jacking the car up, swapping out my suspension all over the car in upcoming weekens.

Anyone know Jack points on XWD so I can have the whole car up in the air with jackstands?
use the subframe as the place for your stands. I usually just do one side then the other.

(by subframe i mean the steel cradle under the engine.)

·
Registered
622 Posts
Agreed. I know of at least 2 people in my life killed by negligence while using a jack without stands. Also an important safety measure is chocking the wheels opposite of the stands. So if you're lifting only half the car with two stands stop the wheels on the other half with wheel chocks. This prevents the car from rolling off of the stands and onto you.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Agreed. I know of at least 2 people in my life killed by negligence while using a jack without stands. Also an important safety measure is chocking the wheels opposite of the stands. So if you're lifting only half the car with two stands stop the wheels on the other half with wheel chocks. This prevents the car from rolling off of the stands and onto you.
i never use jackstands :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am pretty sure mine it a 2 ton jack. It is old, my mom got it from a neighbor a long time ago. Works great for the Saab. Even the wife's Grand Cherokee that is a fat pig compared to the Saab. Jack stands are a must if you have not picked up on that yet... ;ol;

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I use a 2 tonne jack, more than adequate.

As for not using axle stands... there's really no excuse. It's either bravado, stupidity or bone idleness... all great until the worst happens.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts