SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Umm... not really IMO.

I've got a mint 1990 I'd take 2300 for and the headliner is mint too ;) NY title.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If my own 3-door--a 1990 900S (loaded, recently repainted, everything works)--was for sale, I'd be surprised to get much over $2,000 for it.

A 900 from 1984, in the US, will be an 8-valve model (1985 was the first year for the 16V engine). Being an older base-model car, even in decent mechanical condition I doubt it would fetch $1,000:cry:

The best approach is to look through the local buy-sell-swap periodical. Here in CT there is The Bargain News, viewable online at www.bargainnews.com

This will give you a good idea of what competition your car has in the marketplace, and will help you set a realistic asking price. You may end up deciding that the car is worth more to you in terms of transportation than in terms of cash!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
oh yes, quite overpriced! you could get an 88-93 900-turbo fully loaded all options for that, maybe even one with under 120K miles....

run away from that car- fast...

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
i strongly disagree! it seems so many people here find cheap Saabs. but where i come from that are very expensive. i paid $2,150 for my 84' 900S and it gave me ZERO issues the 20,000kms i drove it and the 6 months i owned it. mine had rust, healiner wasn't bad but it was a real looker and someone bought it off me for $2,700 ( i did a small amount of work and major deatailing)-it was his offer, i didn't even have an asking price:eek: . i got other offers around $1,800-2,300, and my ad stated it had wheel arch rust and the guy who bought it off me had it dealer inspected. my 84 was super well taken care of by some old people and i paid a FAIR price for it. i put many hours into making it look really nice, changed belts and all the fuids ect. i woudl say if you love the car make an offer around $1,500 or os and they will prob take it! and if it is MINT then i would say it is fair and you will be very happy. mind you most people i hear who buy these $500 SUPEr deal saabs are replacing some $1-2k park a few posts later. just me 2 cents. but keep looking, i can gurantee it is going nowhere!

·
Registered
896 Posts
But you're talking $2,000 CDN. That's like $500 US ;) j/k

Saabs are pretty common in the northeast U.S. There is no doubt that they can find a much better deal than that.

·
Registered
818 Posts
lol if you lived in Australia that would be cheap, but from what ive read on this forum about SAAB's people get in the US that sounds rather expensive...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
My opinion:A 84 non turbo is a very trouble free car to own. If I were interested I would want her put on a lift and expect it to be perfect top to bottom ,dry with no leaks, tight balljoints,tie rod ends checked ,Dry smooth rack , good brakes with tight yokes , tires , solid exhaust Top side , Inspect the wiring , water pump, belts, hoses, radiator and both fans running when ice cold air works . All Origional shinny paint (mine still is)with minimun of chips.Sunroof working, wipers ,horn, turnsignals , brake lights ,leak free heater valve. Great sounding stereo. Interior perfect with h smooth start and good locks. (no sticking)If it passes this , I'd pay that much.(especially red):roll: I love the flat front 8 valves, with cis simplicity much better than the remodeled later plastic headlight models . Most on here wont agree.:lol: Buy what you like , not what others say you will like. :cheesy: Pat

ps; A turbo model would get me more excited as I have been driving one for four years that I paid $895.00 for in "well used " (not preowned :cheesy: )condition .

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
only in the excited states did you guys get thoes stupid all in one headlight bulb thingy's becuase they reflect light at a different angle according to US amotive standards. canada and europe used flat nose euro lights with a glass front, and post facelift cars have GLASS headlight lenses as well, they hold up well and look very nice. but pat i do agree, the 84' 900's with the 8v flat nose (euro lights are better:cheesy: ), with the ronals ect before the bad vegetable wiring of the 85 year are awsome. mna thoes are reliable little guys! the 16v just has a whole different feel, much more modern, smooth and complex. if you buy an 84 you will love it, the 8v is just as much fun as the 16 valve but in two very different ways. the 8v has a more vintage sound and feel and i loved the non turbo, infact i love turbo just as much as non turbo but again in two different ways.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
firstly, even if the thing was in STELER condition, even $2000 is too high...

witka- you have an odd way of looking at used cars... just because one 1984 costs $2300 does not mean it's any better or less than one that costs $500. Only a good full inspection of the car will tell you that. The fact that the car costs so much very well could just mean that the guy is trying to pull one over on ya ;) and anyway the 8 valve motor is basically obsolete. the 16V is just a better engine. you don't have to worry about exhaust manifold cracks, or cracks in the head for that matter... Also with the 16V you get a semi modern fuel injection system that will actually start and run reliably when cold.

also, what's this about glass headlights? all US model saabs have always had glass headlights. granted, they have flimsy headlight buckets and the beam is a bit more scattered than the E-codes- but I have that extra room back there for intercooler pipework :cheesy: you want light? get a set of hella 500 or 550 driving lights. those will put even E-code headlights to shame.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
A picture "s worth a thousand words!:cheesy: Gotta love it!

1983 Saab 900 Turbo (Posted 5/1/05) SOLD

Color: Walnut Brown Trans: Manual Mileage: 177,000 Price: $3,500
1983 900 Turbo in awesome condition. Euro headlights with Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. Ensio fog lights. Hella 500 driving lights. Rear window louver. LED instrument panel and and interior lights. I have owned this car for less than a year. It was a "fun car" purchase and my needs have changed and I am now looking for a late model 9000 (have one you want to trade?). I have a 2004 vehicle and a Saab convertible aside from this car. I purchased this car from the 3rd owner who had it dealer maintained and I have the receipts to prove it. It has had only the best of care. See my member profile "Saabpilot" for more photos of car. I also have more I can email. The interior is absolutely impeccable with the only exception being a tiny hole in the side of the passenger's seat velour. This could easily be patched, I just haven't had the time to do it. The dash has NO CRACKS. In fact the entire dash and fascia is impeccable. Truly, you have to see it in person to believe it. No one who sees this car believes how old it is. Everyone from my local Saab club will confirm this. As far as the body, it is not perfect but is in very good condition. There are several minor spots of surface bubbling but the paint is original and in very good condition. The front of the hood has some stone chips. The Shelby wheels were professionally refinished a couple of years ago and are in mint condition. Tires are BF Goodrich Traction T/A radials with less than 8,000 miles on them. I installed a keyless entry system using a Saab door lock module from a newer 900 that I retrofitted into the lock system. The A/C was replaced with a new compressor when the system was upgraded to R134 and it blows very cold. Engine runs like a top with absolutely no problems. Valvoline SynPower oil has been used for years. The prior owner and I have used Wurth Rubber Care religiously on the interior and exterior plastic, bumpers and spoiler and they are all perfect. Clear front turn signal lenses. Leather Sport & Rallye steering wheel. Digital Cyberdyne engine gauges in console. You MUST see this car to believe it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
i dont get it? that looks like a completely differnt car then what we're talking about here, an 83 turbo in mint condition with e-codes and lots of other modifications is not the same as a base model non turbo 84. i had one of those cars, and let me tell you, i would never ever pay that much for one of them. maybe like 10 or 15 years ago i would have, but keep in mind that its a 21 year old car! any car that old is going to have some issues, wether its been taken care of or not, and no matter how many miles it has on it. take a look at www.kbb.com, they dont go back that far, but for comparisons sake a 1985 900s in excellent condition is valued at a whopping $650 :roll:. its only places like the Saabnet classifieds that people pay crazy money like that for those cars, they can be found much much cheaper places like ebay, and peoples front lawns.

Paul

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
PaulH said:
i dont get it? that looks like a completely differnt car then what we're talking about here, an 83 turbo in mint condition with e-codes and lots of other modifications is not the same as a base model non turbo 84. i had one of those cars, and let me tell you, i would never ever pay that much for one of them. maybe like 10 or 15 years ago i would have, but keep in mind that its a 21 year old car! any car that old is going to have some issues, wether its been taken care of or not, and no matter how many miles it has on it. take a look at www.kbb.com, they dont go back that far, but for comparisons sake a 1985 900s in excellent condition is valued at a whopping $650 :roll:. its only places like the Saabnet classifieds that people pay crazy money like that for those cars, they can be found much much cheaper places like ebay, and peoples front lawns.

Paul
You obviously never been to a collector car auction or sale .I own several antiques and have watched the resale prices apriciate over the years . Kbb and nada is just a price "guide" not the law .Supply and demand and location is the bottom line . Nicer than average is worth much more than a Ebay or found in some ones yard junk you speak of. Just a smaller market . Some people like better than avarage . And will appricate in value with care and time . I only used the 83t just for a example of the older models bring $$$.If you want cheap wait at the crusher .If you wanted a gem see a collector. $2300 for
a hobby car is a bargain if its what you want. If you just want basic basic transportation , buy a old chevy.:cheesy: Buy what you like ,and enjoy the hobby. ;) Old cars are cool!:cheesy: Pat

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
amen Pat! That 83' turbo is in amazing condition, things like original paint ect. and look at it! i would gladly pay aroudn that much for an old saab that nice. saab for me is not basic transportation, if i wanted good transportation i wouldn't be setting aside all this money to do my current saab over with new paint, trans, p/s rack, interior bits ect. i just spend $430 to fix the a/c on a car that is 16 years old!(the car still transports the same) i could save all this money and buy a 96' saab 900se turbo convertable for like $6-7K. Or i could buy a 1997 grand prix with the full load like leather, traction control, v-6 ect. same price. but what fun would that be? my current saab is in great shape (so many compliments) and could prob get $5k for it up here in vancouver, but i couldn't bare to sell it, my heart is sunk in this one;) . so i will continue the restoration (lots of fun!) and enjoy this car until somebody pries it out of my cold dead hands. So my advice here when it comes to an old car that is a bit of a collectable is to stop and think for yourself:
1) what do i want out of a car, transportation a hobby or both?
2) am i concerned about performance, fun to drive ect.
3) how much do i want to spend?
4) do i want a more vintage 900 or a more modern one? (there are large differences between a 1984 saab and a 1989 saab, i can tell you that from personal experince!)-both are just as much fun (for me that is) but in very different ways!- i will get an 8v again someday, perhaps in a 99 if i'm lucky:cheesy:
so like pat said if you just want cheap transportation an old domestic will do the trick. if your willing to pay more and have some more fun well then a saab is the route to go, no they aren't cheap cars! for me the accidental purchase of a saab was one of the best things i have ever done and i have no regrets, but then again that is me;) -oh wow did i ever ramble, time do to some homework!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
Woy - a 1997 Grand Prix GTP model is a LOT of fun. Trust me... :D

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
900t said:
Woy - a 1997 Grand Prix GTP model is a LOT of fun. Trust me... :D
my family owns a 2002 with full options, cheap american garbage (sorry) it is sitting right next to my saab as we speak. the dash rattles and squeeks, very cheap overall build quality, lots of recalls including internal engine components (CHEAP CAR SYNRDOME) the depreciation is absoluteley terrible, we paid $37,000 in 2002 and today it is worth about $18,000. we have 3 GM products, a 1989 firebird (HORRIBLY UNRELIABLE!, engine rebuilt at 180,000km, tranny done as well, stated rusting after only 6 years old (cars not prone ot rusting here), we have a chevy express motorhome, lots of electrical issues, air con sucks, very cheap interior, motor home aspect (not gm) is great:) , we have 2 chrysler products, a 2000 dodge durango (great car) aside from balljoints, great tire life, and very very reliable. and a 1998 dodge dakota (not as great but not bad). my mom owns a HONDA very reliable but i don't liek it too much, but it a vast improvemnt over our american products. i guess it all comes down to what you liek in a carm I do not like american cars! YUCK! unreliable garbage, CHEAP CHEAP CHAEP, engineering sucks! lots of stupid stuff. YUCK YUCK! my parents have owned many many american cars and we have had many problems, when will the americans learn to build a transmission?

(edit)-sorry the americans have made good tranny's, the chryler tourqueflite has yet to fail! but right aroudn the front wheel drive erra things went downhill!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
The '98 GTP in my driveway is closing in on 250 000km. No rattles, no squeaks, no burning of oil, no rust, and it will burn the tires at 75km/h... everything is in good shape. Only mechanical failure was the fuel pump resistor, $45.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
900t said:
The '98 GTP in my driveway is closing in on 250 000km. No rattles, no squeaks, no burning of oil, no rust, and it will burn the tires at 75km/h... everything is in good shape. Only mechanical failure was the fuel pump resistor, $45.
one thing that can be said for most modern GM cars- they ARE reliable. I have a 1992 pontiac sunbird with 165K on it, and you would be hard pressed to find a toyota corolla from the same time period that's more reliable....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts