SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My latest purchase, an original 1987 900 SPG. Time to whip out the format:

THE GOAL: To save an SPG. There are very few SPGs left around (especially 87's, the first post-facelift Special Performance Group 900) and I couldn't resist the chance to bring this one back. It's got its issues, granted, but when I'm done I want a clean, original, 100% stock 87 SPG. No whaletail, no vent covers, no fat wheel arch trim, just everything as it came from the factory. It's getting tough to find unmolested SPGs anymore, especially since it's guys like me doing the molesting.

THE CAR: 1987 SPG with 165k miles, purchased by me in June 2007 for $750. GOOD: AMAZING original paint, straight body, ZERO RUST ANYWHERE, great leather interior, original tool kit/spare tire/jack/tire bag/etc, amazingly clean engine bay, strong running stock motor. BAD: Minor frontend bump requiring new pass headlight, grille, hood, and bumper. Headliner is shot. Dash is cracked. Quarter-sized dent on rear pass side. Only 3 SPG wheels. Fading paint on sunroof. Needs maintenance.

ENGINE
WORK DONE:
-No modifications, simply bringing performance to factory-spec
-Full factory-spec tuneup - plugs, wires, cap, rotor,
-Fluid flush - power steering, oil, coolant, brake fluid, transmission fluid
-New radiator support
-Current boost 3/4 yellow.
NEEDS:
-Misc vacuum leaks need sorting
-Clutch pedal bushing install

SUSPENSION
WORK DONE:
-new tires
-Refreshed SPG wheels
NEEDS:
-Wheel bearings?
-bleed brakes

INTERIOR
WORK DONE:
-recovered headliner
-recovered sunroof panel
-recovered c-pilliars & door panels
-recovered interior panels
-refinished leather steering wheel
-refinished leather shift boot
NEEDS:
-new parcel shelf
-install new dash
-install leather seat bottom
-re-dye leather
-install DIN cupholder

EXTERIOR
WORK DONE:
-
REMOVED USA STICKER!!!
-New Hood
-New Front Bumper
-repainted front & rear bumper (SEM flexible bumper paint)
-refinished chrome bumper trim
-Refitted SPG panels
-New headlights
-New Grille
-Full set of SPG wheels
-New paint on hood & sunroof (PPG base/clear, edwardian grey)
NEEDS:
-New rear bumper
-Cut & buff new clearcoat
-Polish & wax original paint
-New hood emblem

FIRST PICS:
-Here are some when I brought it home, and after its first car wash in my posession.

BEST COUNTRY IN WORLD USA:

Full gallery is here

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Looks great, but I wonder how long you'll be able to keep it free of vent-covers, whale-tail, 16" rims, etc :)
Also wonder how long stock boost will be there for :)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
Why you are putting stupid restoration project in modding forum? Am Saab fanatic with most powerful 900 in Royal UK. nO joke.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
'some of them are just plain stock rebuilding jobs, has no place being posted here in the performance project section.'

So - a grey one eh? what a shock. I echo PHILB - How Long?

I bet your neighbours looked over and thought 'Oh fer f*#s sake - not again'.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
philjohnhb said:
I bet your neighbours looked over and thought 'Oh fer f*#s sake - not again'.
Yep, that's exactly what they said! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's not a matter of how long. Modifying is easy... A restoration seems like a real challenge to me. I'm excited to drive a sporty saab hatchback that rides smooth, gets 30mpg and is easy to drive.

That's opposed to a low, harsh, torquey 16mpg impractical convertible with a racing clutch :eek: That'll slowly take the form of a leisure car. Don't worry, the Grey Ghost is going nowhere :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Nice.

Have fun!

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
IronJoe said:
It's not a matter of how long. Modifying is easy... A restoration seems like a real challenge to me. I'm excited to drive a sporty saab hatchback that rides smooth, gets 30mpg and is easy to drive.

That's opposed to a low, harsh, torquey 16mpg impractical convertible with a racing clutch :eek: That'll slowly take the form of a leisure car. Don't worry, the Grey Ghost is going nowhere :cheesy:
It looks a nice car to be going on with anyway Joe. Restoration's definitely a proper challenge.

No-one ever speaks of the 150 yard 3rd gear wheelspins in the wet, during which you're scared to take your foot off the gas in case you break the gearbox moments, when you start modding :D

·
Registered
429 Posts
Looks like your power aerial is broken aswell Joe

I was like... Oh god YES! as soon as I saw this thread :D Cant wait to see the end result I'm sure it will be a monster one way or the other!

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
El_Raul_Turbo_Freak said:
worst part about a project thread is that the actual project did not even start yet and I think that is a joke.
Yeh, I think you have to wait until at least 2 of the wheels are painted before you post - or maybe the fuel filter changed - or the glass polished - or the thrunge gobbler has been removed from the dangle pin illuminator - mmmm, not sure. Perhaps we should have a whole thread dedicated to deciding when we can start a project thread and what constitutes a project. Then, if your car doesn't match up you can be fined 10 packs of Werther's Originals and be forced to stand outside the local police station, whistling Dixie with your trousers 'round your ankles.

But at least we know that on Saab Central no one will express any trenchant views and that we will allow people to do what they want.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Looks like a bit of nasty knock to the front there, I sure hope that none of the bumper mounts or chassis legs are twisted, thats the problem with damaged cars, the real damage can sometimes be less obvious. My 900 has had a light front end knock at some point (was super light, barely enough to dent the bonnet) but the alignment of stuff at the front just isn't quite straight any more :(, gaps around the headlight / bumper / hood / indicators are much bigger on the drivers side than the passenger side, doesn't stop the car being driven mind :p

Still great to see another one being saved

Good luck with it:D

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
El_Raul_Turbo_Freak said:
worst part about a project thread is that the actual project did not even start yet and I think that is a joke.
Really Raul? The project hasn't started yet? Were you with me in the junkyard last night getting a new hood? Were you in my backyard yesterday when I started prepping the new front bumper, or when I stripped the interior, or when I began disassembling the front end?

EDIT:
Oh, well I guess that's my update for today :cheesy:

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
IronJoe said:
Really Raul? The project hasn't started yet? Were you with me in the junkyard last night getting a new hood? Were you in my backyard yesterday when I started prepping the new front bumper, or when I stripped the interior, or when I began disassembling the front end?

EDIT:
Oh, well I guess that's my update for today :cheesy:
I think doing a bit of beard stroking, sucking teeth and blowing the dust out of your wallet is the true start of a project.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
VikingSpirit said:
Looks like a bit of nasty knock to the front there, I sure hope that none of the bumper mounts or chassis legs are twisted, thats the problem with damaged cars, the real damage can sometimes be less obvious.
You're so right, my convertible's front end accident tweaked the car a bit, to the point that it made installing the one-piece front bumper difficult. That's why it was the first thing I checked on this car. It appears that the corner light was replaced and the grille was epoxy'd back together. The bumper isn't detached, just the cover is 'tweaked.'

I may decide to replace the rad support just for consistency.

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
go joe, go. not the G.I. kind either. hahahah

and dont listen to rual... he's just jealous

1 - 20 of 141 Posts