SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 9-3 SE, 3 door, and I had some questions regarding using my Ipod with it so I was looking for an info or advice you guys can give me.

Id been using the Itrip FM transmitter, but recently had heard the Monster Icar player and was thoroughly impressed with the quality (heart it in VW Jetta). I was told that the sound quality with the Icar player varies though with the stere of the car. Anyone know how well this works in a 2001 9-3 vs an Itrip? I haven't been dissatisfied with my Itrip, but I've realized that I often have to put my ipod in the dash cupholder to get good sound, and can't just leaev it at my side.

As far as other options...do you know if there is anyway to Ipod a 2001 factory stereo system? I have no technical ability of my own, so self install is out of the question. I'm more wondering if the dealership would be able to "Ipod" my car. Or is this something only available for newer 9-3s?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
All FM transmitters like the iCarPlay and the iTrip should sound similar unless one has a significantly higher output or lets you transmit on an unused frequency that another doesn't. The iTrip is by far the most flexible as far as frequencies go. The best way to go is a wired connection. Several people have hacked into the cell phone audio input to get a nice line-level input. That's really the best option. Search the forum and you should find the posts with pictures and instructions. The second best option would be an FM modulator that plugs into the antenna jack on the back of the radio instead of broadcasting the signal through the air. Crutchfield sells a nice one from Clarion, the last time I checked.

·
Registered
223 Posts
A company called Dension make equipment specifically to connect the iPod into standard head-units of a most of the major brands of car - specifically so that the car's steering wheel controls etc also work the iPod. Unfortunately it's not yet available for our SAABs! :cry:

Without this the options are either the iTrip (poor quality), a cassette adapter (wires everywhere), hi-jacking the mobile phone or CD changer inputs (tricky), or hacking into the wiring of the head unit itself (very tricky indeed!!). Nothing that's exactly satisfactory in fact. :confused:

The good news is that Dension has recently released a new product which might sort the issue - the ice-Link FM. Basically its a small box of tricks that allows the iPod to connect into the FM input directly - a kind of hard-wired iTrip known as a 'modulator'.

Putting the iPod into the supplied iPod/iPod mini cradle turns the modulator on automatically, and using the car's radio you tune into one of the three fixed frequencies you've chosen (similar to using an iTrip). Better than the iTrip however the modulator then also blocks other signals coming from the antenna. In this way the head unit can only hear the iPod signal and thus the interference often heard with an iTrip can be eliminated.

The modulator is powered by the car's battery and all the cables you need are included in the kit, as well as a smart cradle which just needs a suitable dash-mount.

According to the box the ice-Link FM (& cradle) is compatible with 3rd & 4th generation iPods, 60GB iPod photo, and the iPod mini.

In the UK cost is around £65 ordering online and it really does seem to offer a reasonably simple-to-install, permanent, hard-wired solution promising excellent sound quality.

Finally I write all this without actually installed the kit myself yet - I just have have the box and bits beside me as I type! I hope to install the unit later in the week and when I do I'll take pictures, do a proper write-up and let folk know how it all works out.

T9

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I agree with DougR. If I can hack my radio, anyone can.
I do have soldering experience but no luck with this kind of stuff.

Denison will never make a kit for our Saabs.
A cassette adapter is one GOOD option if you have it. It's just one wire. There's going to be AT LEAST one wire for ANY kind of install. Better sound quality then an FM Xmitter or Modulator.
The FM MODULATOR has been around a long time. They don't really block signals, but they basically disconnect the radio at the back effectively killing any other signals. Then it pumps the selected signal into the antenna. This is far better then a Xmitter, but requires a power source and room in the dash.

MOST of todays' phones cannot use the phone kit so your best bet, really, is to do the head unit hack. Cost me less then $4.00 and a Sunday afternoon.
All this info is in the FAQ in the Workshop forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts