SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you plug the cable into the factory radio, do you lose control of the iPod itself?

I want to integrate my iPhone, but because of the GPS, Pandora, and phone features I don't want to be locked out from my touch screen

Thanks!
Dylan

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
the factory connection is purely for audio. You connect from the headphone out of your Ipod to the aux-in of the car.
You still need to use the ipod to control what you're listening to.
Connecting to the car is no different to having headphones plugged in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW, didn't mean to sound like such a n00b. I've seen a ton of threads on this forum talking about a special cable from the dealer, which costs $110+ for installation...

I figured for that price it had a few more features to it than just being an aux-in! IE charging, radio button control, etc

·
Registered
16 Posts
$110? I just got mine at wal-mart, purchased the cable for like $15. Hooks right in to aux port and plays my ipod touch all day long

·
Registered
437 Posts
save yourself the cash and buy the cable yourself, install it, and if its needed (most likely it will) get the tech II changes to enable it at a saab indy shop

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
WOW, didn't mean to sound like such a n00b. I've seen a ton of threads on this forum talking about a special cable from the dealer, which costs $110+ for installation...

I figured for that price it had a few more features to it than just being an aux-in! IE charging, radio button control, etc
The special cable you've read about is most likely the cable that comes out the back of the audio system (EHU) and goes down the centre tunnel to the armrest. This is the Saab Aux-in cable. it has a plug one end to fit into the EHU, and a 3.5mm socket the other end to plug your aux device into.
This cable itself is quite cheap, Parts For Saab have it for £42 ($55) 9-3 Sports 03'-06' All Models - Genuine Saab MP3 Aux-in Kit
but it can get expensive if bought and installed via the dealer. Requires the dealer to use Tech II to enable aux on your system, but can easily be DIY installed, as stated above.

Once this Saab aux cable is installed, and AUX enabled via Tech II, you are ready to go with my first response, which is purely a cable with 3.5mm jack each end.
You can buy other cables that also plug into the cigarette lighter socket and charge the Ipod at the same time, but they don't allow control of the Ipod.

There are 3 options that do allow Ipod control in the 2003-2006 models, they are by Dension or MoBridge, 1st Saab in the world with mObridge audio will shed some more light.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There are 3 options that do allow Ipod control in the 2003-2006 models, they are by Dension or MoBridge, 1st Saab in the world with mObridge audio will shed some more light.
I investigated integrated iPod controls a while back; for NA, Dennison will not work. mObridge will, but is expensive ($400-500).

I tried to contact the admins on this site to arrange a group-buy, but they have either not read or ignored both emails.;oops:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts