SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an iPod Touch and a 2007 Aero. The aux-in just doesn't cut it. I found using the "search" on the site references to a nifty device called Audiotroll. After I looked on their website, I noticed there was nothing for my new vehicle in their product line-up. So I sent them an email and got a swift reply. Here it is:

" . . . as of right now, we have yet to successfully run an iPod Touch with AudioTroll. Touch uses a different interface than Classic, so when it's used with a peripheral which is not specifically designed for Touch, it will continue sending a "docking request". This is kind of like throwing a couch in front of a car-- it makes everything stop working. We're working on this.

In the meantime, though, your new Aero should have an Aux-In line. Not that we don't want you to buy an AudioTroll, but if you're craving tunes in the car, that might help you through this testing period! "

Guess I'll stay tuned for their new product.

·
Registered
759 Posts
According to their site, the system for the 9-3SS/SC is still under development. I followed the development of the Audiotroll (initially called Trollpod) for the earlier NG900/OG9-3. It had lots of problems and took years to perfect it without throwing airbag lights and other problems, which resulted in several recalls of shipped units, etc. Hopefully he has perfected his development process and this unit for our 9-3's will come out more rapidly than the last system developed.

So the older system uses the SID to display info...what about our 2007's that really don't have a SID? Info panel above the radio and then the info display under the speedo. :(

I know for a fact that GM has NO PLANS to allow the GM-PAL system (personal audio link) to be compatible with Saabs in spite of them retrodesigning it to fit over 56 GM vehicles. THE AUDIOTROLL IS OUR ONLY HOPE!!!!! :lol:

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nickshu said:
I know for a fact that GM has NO PLANS to allow the GM-PAL system (personal audio link) to be compatible with Saabs in spite of them retrodesigning it to fit over 56 GM vehicles. THE AUDIOTROLL IS OUR ONLY HOPE!!!!! :lol:
How do you know for a fact? As a new 07 owner, I really hope you are wrong!

·
Registered
759 Posts
joemama said:
How do you know for a fact? As a new 07 owner, I really hope you are wrong!
I emailed the director of GM's audio accessories division. I recieved the following email reply (cut and paste from my email):

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your interest in the Personal Audio Link (PAL). Although the stereo systems look the same in the Saab 9-3 and the Chevy HHR, the electrical architecture is different in each vehicle. Unfortunately the HHR PAL will not work in a Saab. We do not currently have plans to offer PAL for the 9-3.

I believe your radio is equipped with an auxiliary jack. As an alternative to PAL, there is an auxiliary cable available from GM that allows your iPod to play through the vehicle's stereo system. This solution certainly doesn't provide the control/display features of PAL, but it does make it possible for you to listen to your personal music selections in your car.

Joyce Henk
GM Accessories Marketing

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I think PAL is hackable in a Saab. Okay, the "electrical system" is different. I think that this probably comes down to the wires being in different locations on connectors. But the wires are there, and the connectors are there.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Any of you guys have a picture of our you integrated your iPOD through the front AUX-IN port of your '07 radio? In the older models, it was easy to hide the cabling, however, given the position, I wouldn't midn seeing pic's.

I have an idea, but want to see if it is close to some of yours, for those that have '07's.

paul

·
Registered
759 Posts
Krieg said:
I think PAL is hackable in a Saab. Okay, the "electrical system" is different. I think that this probably comes down to the wires being in different locations on connectors. But the wires are there, and the connectors are there.
I've thought about this... apparently the PAL system uses a channel from the XM radio circuit. Since our 2007 radio's have XM, why can't it be installed??

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Because the wires go to different pins on the connectors than on the HHR and other GM radios.

So its not plug and play. But it is hackable.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Krieg said:
I suspect it involves different firmware in the radio and different bus messages sent over the network.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts