SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any idea how I can install my ipod into my brand new saab. I want to be able to use the wheel on the ipod and I want my ipod to charge. If anybody could help me with this that would be amazing.

I love my saab and I love my ipod and I want to have both of them together in harmony.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wow, i thought everybody knew how to do this!:cheesy: What you need to do is either buy a aux-in cable from you saab dealership, etadyne http://www.etadyne.com or make one yourself. Follow the instructions and voila you got the best of both worlds. One more thing, you also need to get the aux in your car turned on via the dealership and their Tech II devise.

Also, you might want to do a search on the site to see how everybody else hooked them up. Some just put it in their armrest, some in the bottom slot of their ashtray, and some bought holders. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope--- To power the ipod you just need to get a car cigarette lighter ipd charger ( Belkin makes them, among others I'm sure), They cost about $20-$30.

·
Banned
975 Posts
hes looking to use the controllers on the steering wheel etc. with his ipod. Like use it to change songs, and view song titles on the SID....at least i think thats what he said but im too lazy to read it again. As of my knowledge there is no way to do this just yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No. no. I just want the sound to come through the stereo, the ipod to charge, and I want to be able to use the ipod wheel to control the music. O yeah no wires running throughout my car. This is a challenge.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
SaabHRZ said:
No. no. I just want the sound to come through the stereo, the ipod to charge, and I want to be able to use the ipod wheel to control the music. O yeah no wires running throughout my car. This is a challenge.
Not a challenge at all. There are umpteen posts on this here. As GlacierBlue suggested, get a Belkin car charger (comes with a mini-amp too), Etadyne cable and away you go. There are many places you can place the iPod. I have mine in the console cup holder. Close the sliding cover when I get out of the car - nice and stealthy (I had to use the dremel to make it fit)

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
SaabHRZ said:
How did you get the power in there, I am a novice. I apologize if I sound stupid.
Get a Belkin car charger, plug that into the cigarette lighter outlet in the centre console and connect to the iPod. I ran the power from the charger through the coin holder in the console into the cupholder space where the iPod is. The aux cable runs from the EHU under the centre console to the cupholder and connects to the ipod.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Saba, you are amazing. I am still confussed. The first thing i need to do before I do anything is get the dealer to turn on the Auxillary function in my radio. The in need to have the aux cable installed, is this correct. I told you i am a novice. I do not want to break anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was at my Saab dealer a few weeks ago and asked about connecting up an I pod. he said they could fit the aux in for me for about 160 quid, so I said I'd think about it.

As I was just about to leave he came out and flagged me down and told me that they could fit a cradle to the dash which would provide power etc. and cost me 260 quid. I felt that was a bit steep though, I am wondering if he was talking about a saab ipod part or some after market kit they could fix.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
SaabHRZ said:
Saba, you are amazing. I am still confussed. The first thing i need to do before I do anything is get the dealer to turn on the Auxillary function in my radio. The in need to have the aux cable installed, is this correct. I told you i am a novice. I do not want to break anything.
Yes get the dealer to enable aux and get them to fit the cable as well. The aux jack will then terminate in the centre console next to the power outlet. get a Belkin car charger and plug it into the power outlet. Plug the belkin Aux cable into the auxillary jack installed by your dealer and then plug the white lead from the Belkin into the ipod. presto! power and sound. Volume controls on the steering wheel. You can keep the iPod in the centre console along with the belkin charger until you decide where to put it permanently.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
9-3Wotcha said:
I was at my Saab dealer a few weeks ago and asked about connecting up an I pod. he said they could fit the aux in for me for about 160 quid, so I said I'd think about it.

As I was just about to leave he came out and flagged me down and told me that they could fit a cradle to the dash which would provide power etc. and cost me 260 quid. I felt that was a bit steep though, I am wondering if he was talking about a saab ipod part or some after market kit they could fix.
I bet they would just use a Belkin car charger installed in the centre console and run it through the centre console to the cradle. Saab wouldn't have a Saab part for it. I would think the cradle was also an Apple or Belkin cradle attached to a Saab phone mount. All up, mine cost me about $15 AUD for the cable and $60 AUD for the Belkin charger, whats that! about 30 BP

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Last Question

So you are telling me i can run a cable from the centre console, meaning the arm rest, to the cupholder, no problem, no holes, no drillign nothing, that would be awesome.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts