SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am attempting to install a first gen Ipad mini in my dash where the head unit is at currently. I am at college right now, but I ordered all the audio components I will need to get the Ipad to play through all of the speakers.

here is what I have ordered as of now:

This is a Clarion 4 channel amp that i will be using to run the two dash speakers and the two back seat speakers. This is needed because the amp that runs those speakers is built into the original head unit. I chose this specific amp because of its size. It is close to being compact enough to fit behind the Ipad inside of the dash. I also chose it because it has a similar power rating to the stock amp.

next I ordered all of the wiring components I am going to need to connect the Ipad to the amps.

3.5 mm headphone jack splitter with right angle. i ordered it with a right angle to avoide having to clear out more space in the dash.

3.5 mm headphone jack splitter. This will connect to the first splitter and both female ends will lead to the clarion amp.

3.5 mm headphone jack to RCA jacks. I ordered two of these to go from the splitter mentioned above to the clarion amp.

Now that the clarion amp is receiving an audio signal from the Ipad, the base amp and speakers need to receive that same signal. This required me to do some research on how to connect an 8 pin DIN connector to an Ipad. luckily, someone had a thread on here of how to convert the 8 pin DIN connector into RCA ports.
Here is the link to that thread:http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124317

female 8 pin DIN connector.

3.5 mm headphone jack to RCA ports.
these two components will be used to create the converter between the 8 pin DIN from the base amp and the 3.5 mm jack to the Ipad. Simply follow the instructions on the thread above.

Everything but the amp has arrived. The amp should be here by Thanksgiving so I will be working on getting the audio side of this build complete over Thanksgiving break. I will be updating this thread with the progress I have made on the actual install.

Got the iPad mounted perfectly over thanksgiving break. I will be completing the audio side of the build once I get back for winter break.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Please, you have to share the physical side of the build as well, such as how did you mount the Ipad? It looks very good.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm not a fan of going analog out of the iPad to the amp, but it's not a long run. How's the noise floor? Do you hear hiss when audio isn't playing?

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Next all you'll need is an OBDII bluetooth, and you'll have extra gauges too ;ol;

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just received another 8 pin din connector in the mail yesterday. I screwed up the last one but this one is fine. I will try to get this build thread done soon but I have so many other things I'm trying to work on this weekend so I might not be able to finish this until sometime next week.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Really, really interested in this. Can't wait to see more details on how everything is mounted and wired. I would love to do this in my car. Good job so far man!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The reason I haven't finished this yet is because I ran into an issue with the audio side of the build. Long story short, I tried to use a potentiometer to raise the bass level on the iPad and it ended up picking up a lot of engine noise. So to resolve this, I have ordered resistors that will do the same job but not pick up stray frequencies. They will be here Wednesday of this week and that is when I will update you guys again.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Any pics of the dash behind the ipad? Also, have you thought about using a PAC LC1 between the ipad and the amp? They can usually be had off ebay for around $10 shipped. It would give you a quicker volume than using the touchscreen if you need to cut it down quickly.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So the resistors came in the last day I had on break and I installed them. It worked perfectly so now there is a good amount of base and treble. since I am now back at school I will not be able to complete this until spring. Sorry this is taking so long but I will get detailed instructions to you as soon as I can.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts