SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello hello,
i just bought a 89 900 i 16v and i love it... more than i thought i would, i bought as a cheap runabound car but...its nice its so nice that i might wanna put some money in and replace the cv joints, ( there in bad shape...).

i would love to do this myself but.. i might some help with that i bought the haynes manual but that doesnt seem to help me an awefull lot.i think i need more picture so to speak !!

but let me start with flushing the radiator systeem.
what i would like to know is..were oh were is the drain bolt in the cyclinder block, according to the workshop manual, there should be one in the block?secondly..how do i flush it ?do i take the bottom bolt out and just rinse it trough with a (dear i say) garden hose?

other than that.. i toke here out for a camping trip this weekend in the southwest of australia, between perth and pemberton and boy, that was funn nice windy tracks over the hills trough the woods in summer, awesome !!
never thought io would like this car that much.
looking forward to youre responces
thanks in advance
michel2

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
welcome aboard.

the cv joints are a little detailed, but i can help you with the radiator flush easily.
there should be a strange alloy thing in the side of the block , under the exhaust manifold, closer to the RHF engine mount, it will have a reasonably large drain bolt. thats the coolant drain for the engine, also there should be another drain plug on the right hand side radiator tank, its down the bottom near where the battery negative lead connects to the chassis. just be careful undoing it.
hope this helps.

chris.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Hey michel2, cheapest place I know of for CV joints is Outer Control in Myaree. They'll even do the job for you at a reasonable price if you're not feeling adventurous.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will not be called pommy backpacker again !!!joking though...
dutch but here to stay
and yes i did a search, firts for cv joint and could not find annything, after that i did c.v. joints......way more sucsesfull!!!
i was happy as ...well iam verry happy with that c.v. topic molto kudos to the writter !!!!
annybody a sugestion were to get parts from...?????
manny thanks feeling at home allready

·
Registered
825 Posts
michel2 said:
i will not be called pommy backpacker again !!!joking though...
dutch but here to stay
and yes i did a search, firts for cv joint and could not find annything, after that i did c.v. joints......way more sucsesfull!!!
i was happy as ...well iam verry happy with that c.v. topic molto kudos to the writter !!!!
annybody a sugestion were to get parts from...?????
manny thanks feeling at home allready
Hey man,

You have ad´s for saab parts everywhere on this page.
Have a look at a few sites, and then compare the prices.
Im geting my CV joint done by a mechanic and it costs 38.50 for the joint + about 120 for work.. :)

Mati!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Now listen TOM ... Dont go kicking the AUssies .. BOTH cases you mention are *new* australians and new SAABERS ,, BE nice..lol... In both cases very exuberant newies to the clan , Australia and SAAB ... SO welcome guys ...

We Know where the search button is .. I think... its under the esky !!!!

Cheers ..

Ps Matti . thats a fair price on the joint , actually its a good price !! Labor .. well ..ok ..I guess .. Not a hard job if you are using a new joint ... Not hard Old joint .. but time consuming . Good learnig curve for you , ask him if you can keep the old joint , and have a look at it ... dismantle , clean , inspect . Potential spare , or at worst , experience for you , get a little grease under your nails !

·
Registered
825 Posts
Hey!

AUSSIE900 said:
Now listen TOM ... Dont go kicking the AUssies .. BOTH cases you mention are *new* australians and new SAABERS ,, BE nice..lol... In both cases very exuberant newies to the clan , Australia and SAAB ... SO welcome guys ...

We Know where the search button is .. I think... its under the esky !!!!

Cheers ..

Ps Matti . thats a fair price on the joint , actually its a good price !! Labor .. well ..ok ..I guess .. Not a hard job if you are using a new joint ... Not hard Old joint .. but time consuming . Good learnig curve for you , ask him if you can keep the old joint , and have a look at it ... dismantle , clean , inspect . Potential spare , or at worst , experience for you , get a little grease under your nails !
Hey Man.

You seem like a very nice person.!

I will keep the old parts and play around with them. I could try my self but I need the car done fast because I need to register it in my name!

bye!
Mati

·
Registered
8 Posts
saab's are nice to drive

Hey Michel2, gday I agree with you about the driving experience...do your cv's really need replacing. what are your saab symptoms ...I think it wise to do what really needs doing otherwise enjoy the saab. xdo things like oil changes check gearbox oil, radiator flush, change plugs maybe...my ignition key gave up ghost recently and saab quoted $720 fro parts in perth and I sent to the USA and did the whole job for $80!...cheers saab900 lover as well...phil

michel2 said:
hello hello,
i just bought a 89 900 i 16v and i love it... more than i thought i would, i bought as a cheap runabound car but...its nice its so nice that i might wanna put some money in and replace the cv joints, ( there in bad shape...).

i would love to do this myself but.. i might some help with that i bought the haynes manual but that doesnt seem to help me an awefull lot.i think i need more picture so to speak !!

but let me start with flushing the radiator systeem.
what i would like to know is..were oh were is the drain bolt in the cyclinder block, according to the workshop manual, there should be one in the block?secondly..how do i flush it ?do i take the bottom bolt out and just rinse it trough with a (dear i say) garden hose?

other than that.. i toke here out for a camping trip this weekend in the southwest of australia, between perth and pemberton and boy, that was funn nice windy tracks over the hills trough the woods in summer, awesome !!
never thought io would like this car that much.
looking forward to youre responces
thanks in advance
michel2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts