Compression Cyl.#1- 155lb.
Cyl.2 150lb.
Cyl.3 200lb.
Cyl.4 160lb.

Leakdown_ #1 55%
#2 60%
#3 65%
#4 50%

Cyl.3 piston wet with oil (did not pour any in)

new valve stem seals, new PCV.
Whaddya think? Bad rings or cylinder #3?
Maybe try 10w 40 or Engine Restore and hope it slows a bit?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Problem- excessive oil consumption -2000 SE
Compression Cyl.#1- 155lb.
Cyl.2 150lb.
Cyl.3 200lb.
Cyl.4 160lb.

Leakdown_ #1 55%
#2 60%
#3 65%
#4 50%

Cyl.3 piston wet with oil (did not pour any in)

new valve stem seals, new PCV.
Whaddya think? Bad rings or cylinder #3?
Maybe try 10w 40 or Engine Restore and hope it slows a bit?
Did you try and find out where air was leaking to in the leakdown test? Compression #'s are generally on low side and variance is too large. and leakdown #'s seem to be on the high side. That with oil consumption sounds more like rings. The nice thing about leakdown test is you can check the different area's air to try and figure out where the leak is (air coming out intake or exhaust is valves, bubbles in radiator points to head gasket issue, and air in oil/crank suggests rings). Did think it was odd that cyl 3 had best compression by far but had highest leakdown, but the oil in that cyl was probably masking rings. As normal compression test to check rings is to put some oil in cyl and re-test compression, big increase suggest ring issue, which I think you are seeing here.
But really need to see where the air is leaking into as part of the leakdown test.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Leakdown and Compression?

An engine with 50-65% leak down on ALL cylinders will likely not start or even run. I do not believe that your numbers are correct on leakdown. The "normal" range for a near perfect engine is 1-3%. With this much Leak down, your cranking compression would be quite low, since you would be theoretically losing 50-60% of the air that you take in on each intake stroke. Compression should be even across cylinders with 10% variation between "low" and "high" cylinders. I would say that 150/160 is "normal" for a SAAB engine, the cylinder with 200 may have carbon build up. I have been a professional engine builder for 40 years, the numbers just do not add up.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
^^^ this . leak down numbers are popcorn. If the compression figures are correct motor is in poor shape. I see 190 -200 cranking compression on a typical B207 type motor. You dont say where the leaking is coming from on the leak down, but the 200 number is probably oil skewing the reading.

A 14 year old SAAB in good engine shape is possible, but if its been tuned or flogged, its probably DOA.

engine using oil? rings and lands are done. Just rebuild it, or replace the motor or the car sadly.
engine restore? 10W40? no help. really. Sad for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts