SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 9-3 petrol convertible which starts after cranking for several minutes, then runs perfectly fine, if I switch it off it restarts no problem,
if I leave it overnight it takes minutes of cranking to start again.
The gearbox seems fine, changes up and down and kicks down no problem, yet I have a gearbox warning now and then when trying to start it,
I also get a traction control warning when I am trying to start, both of these warnings cancel straight away on the dash panel button and don’t
reappear, I don’t know the history of the car, these could be uncleared codes from the past.
i cannot hear the fuel pump, though it must be pumping when running as it runs fine. I have removed a spark plug after trying to start it, the plug is bone dry and clean, this suggests to me that it is not getting any fuel, it restarts because it still has fuel pressure.
could it be the fuel pump relay? I have searched all over the car and cannot find it, the internet tells me that it should be Purple in colour, I cannot find any purple relays, I have searched the internet for the relay location but have drawn a blank, there is plenty on US cars but not on UK cars. There is a
relay in the location shown on the internet but it is black, not purple and it clicks when I try to crank the engine over.
i know this is a shot in the dark but I am hoping there is someone out there that can help me.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Its black in the front passenger right side-kick panel (for countries with normal driver location ?)
However do a simple test, next time u wana start it in the morning where u think it will take long time to start, remove the engine cover, remove the fuel pressure port cap, let someone crank the car while u depress the Schrader valve, fuel must hit u right in the eye at any distance, if not then worry about the fuel pump and relay.
Since u mentioned gearbox and traction control errors, u might wana bypass the ABS module in the next attempt to exclude it (as there is a good chance of it failing)
By the way, does the tach moves a bit while its cranking and not starting ?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its black in the front passenger right side-kick panel (for countries with normal driver location ?)
However do a simple test, next time u wana start it in the morning where u think it will take long time to start, remove the engine cover, remove the fuel pressure port cap, let someone crank the car while u depress the Schrader valve, fuel must hit u right in the eye at any distance, if not then worry about the fuel pump and relay.
Since u mentioned gearbox and traction control errors, u might wana bypass the ABS module in the next attempt to exclude it (as there is a good chance of it failing)
By the way, does the tach moves a bit while its cranking and not starting ?
Hi, to answer you question, no the tach does not move while cranking.
I did find the black relay behind the cover in the footwell by the A pillar and it clicks when I crank it over.
i Have read that the battery must be in good condition, so I have put it on charge overnight, that is where
i have got to.
thanks for your help, any more would be appreciated.

·
Registered
18,538 Posts
Sounds like early CPS failure to me, but that's a marginally wild guess. LAck of a CPS signal will prevent fuel flow. The T7 tach won't necessarilly move while cranking. T5 was more obvious about that. Could also be fuel pump related as others have suggested. You might turn the key on and let it sit for a couple minutes and then try to start it to see if it just has to build pressure. Whacking the gas tank with a rubber mallet is another fuel pump test. If you pull up the bottom of the rear seat, you should be able to hear the pump prime... at least at first. It believe it will stop once pressure is up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts