SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 9-5 AERO with manual transmission.

I have had the car for over a year, it hasn’t been on the road in that time but I do start it and drive it around the block every now and then, it is a reserve/slow project car.

With this car more often than not when I turn the key to the engage the starter the engine doesn’t turn over, all the proper lights come on on the dash, the fuel pump primes but there is no starter engagement.

What I’ve found over repeated tries is that if I hold the key in the start position for longer then you would normally it will eventually turn the engine over and the car starts right up as if there was never a problem, also I have learned that it isn’t a matter of how forcefully the key is turned it’s just as if there is a dead spot that I randomly get over.

I’m not sure where to start with such an intermittent problem, has anybody experienced this or something similar?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Any particular part of the switch? Can I repair it or do I need to replace the whole thing?
Luckily I haven't had this failure yet, and I have a couple of spare switches stashed away. From what I've heard the contacts/rotating parts wear down inside. Consequently you'd have to get a replacement, dismantle it and transplant the guts. Might as well just use the replacement switch. I don't know what they cost new, but I'd gamble on a scrap yard switch, then at least you have an idea of the age/mileage.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It sounds like the electrical portion of the ignition switch at least like mine started acting. Eventually the car shut off on it's own and had to be restarted and all the alarms would light up and sound sometimes driving down the road. Very distracting and safety hazard if it shuts off at the wrong time. The center console has to partially come apart and it's just kind of lots of plastic pieces coming apart to get to it. There are several tutorials or part tutorials around to guide you through it.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have had many a console apart (short shifter installations for example) so that's no big deal, apparently it's time to dig in again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts