SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car: 2001 9-5 Aero, Automatic.

The other day after work, I fired up the car and had someone follow me home. Once we got there, he mentioned that there was a quick puff of gray-ish smoke after hitting the throttle and getting up to speed. While running, no smoke was visible, I also didn't let it warm up as long as usual since I was trying to get home quickly.

I checked the oil level and it was fine. I haven't changed it yet, so I'm unsure as to if I'm losing oil or not.

Now, I also have a stage 1 tune from some folks at ecuproject (Mackan's tune to be exact). Before I go swapping software, what else should I be checking?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
A short and occaisional puff of smoke on hard acceleration may not be a problem at all, just clearing out that sooty exhaust pipe!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know!

I'm going to have someone else drive it so I can see exactly what it looks like. If it is indeed as short as my coworker said, I'll not worry too much about it.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Sometimes its a simple as the humidity or air temp at the time, I'd worry about smoke at every first start up, and clouds of white , blue or black smoke on acceleration.........probably not the odd puff ;)

·
Registered
679 Posts
When my turbo was gone there would be plumes of smoke coming out the back every now and again, my car would deposit smoke all over the place sporadically depending on what was going on with the throttle. There was noise out of the turbo upon acceleration to add to the smoke.

What your describing doesn't sound like a turbo issue so it's probably just normal, keep an eye on oil levels on regular intervals and you should be fine.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When i started my 9-5 after it had been sitting i would get a black cloud for about 5 seconds then it would stop.

I found that the elbow hose coming out of the oil sump was cracked, fixed that, the smoke went away, i would check for a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I went looking around in the engine compartment... nothing seems out of place, I keep it pretty clean and check for leaks. I really shined things up when I put in PCV #6 about a year ago.

It definitely smokes when given hard throttle, I'm able to see just a hint of visible black smoke when I had someone gun the engine in park (4000 rpm). I guess as long as the oil level looks good I shouldn't worry too much. I'm not expecting miracles after 130k miles, especially after the one time the old lady drove about 120 miles with a broken thermostat and boiled out coolant (40k miles prior to today).

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi there,

Keep going as normal, you'll be fine if you notice oil being used up quite heavily and noise out of the turbo (under load) you might have to go looking at doing some work. But for now I'd say you're safe :)

Cheers
Michael

·
Registered
428 Posts
If its your turbo let the car cool down by running it for a minute or so then shut it off then on start up let her run for a minute to warm up then you should notice a massive difference in the smoke

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, so I finally got some time to change the oil. After 5000 miles of 0W-40 Mobil 1, 4 quarts went in, 3 came out. How bad is that?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts