SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been a SAAB guy for a while, had a 1986 900S NA, a 1993 9000CSE NA, and a 2000 9-5 Aero Nordic stage 3, my first turbo car. I just bought this used 2003 Aero automatic for my daughter and have a few small issues I am trying to fix. The car has 98k miles.

I have been having an intermittent clank/vibration/rattle, not sure how to describe it. It is coming from the front and seemed to be closer to the passenger side, almost under the center consul, or under the glove box area.

It almost sounds like the CAT is touching the chassis, it only happens when I come to a stop or at idle, only for a few seconds, also at startup sometimes when engine is cranking. It looks like it depends on a certain condition when the vibration in the car causes something to touch the chassis.

I replaced both front mounts and the GS transmission bushing mount, car is smoother now but still getting that rattle. I looked underneath the car and could not see anything clearly like CAT touching chassis.

I did a lot of searching, which is why I replaced the mounts, but cannot troubleshoot this one. Could it be the rear motor mount? If this mount is broken could the center bolt be touching the main housing metal to metal?

Please help.
Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi all,

I have been a SAAB guy for a while, had a 1986 900S NA, a 1993 9000CSE NA, and a 2000 9-5 Aero Nordic stage 3, my first turbo car. I just bought this used 2003 Aero automatic for my daughter and have a few small issues I am trying to fix. The car has 98k miles.

I have been having an intermittent clank/vibration/rattle, not sure how to describe it. It is coming from the front and seemed to be closer to the passenger side, almost under the center consul, or under the glove box area.

It almost sounds like the CAT is touching the chassis, it only happens when I come to a stop or at idle, only for a few seconds, also at startup sometimes when engine is cranking. It looks like it depends on a certain condition when the vibration in the car causes something to touch the chassis.

I replaced both front mounts and the GS transmission bushing mount, car is smoother now but still getting that rattle. I looked underneath the car and could not see anything clearly like CAT touching chassis.

I did a lot of searching, which is why I replaced the mounts, but cannot troubleshoot this one. Could it be the rear motor mount? If this mount is broken could the center bolt be touching the main housing metal to metal?

Please help.
Thanks!
Yes it could be the rear mount, and yes it could.
also possible suspects would be the cradle mounts (not too likely) strut mount?

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
I'm willing to bet that sound your hearing is coming from your subframe mounts. Check and see if they are worn out and need replacing, Also check and see if you can retorque the bolts....One of mine was loose and another I broke clean off. Had same noise so Inspected a bit and found these issues

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Noise coming from higher

I'm willing to bet that sound your hearing is coming from your subframe mounts. Check and see if they are worn out and need replacing, Also check and see if you can retorque the bolts....One of mine was loose and another I broke clean off. Had same noise so Inspected a bit and found these issues
Thanks, I will look under tomorrow. Not sure it's the subframe though, it sounds higher.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasserstein under the car

Today I drove the car on the ramps with the plan of inspecting at the rear mount and the subframe bushings. First I decided to flash the automatic transmission fluid, so I did that first. As I was under the car I noticed that the GS transmission mount bushings came off slightly off the cavity it's in. Now I know what those large flat washers that came with the bushings were for ;oops: when I changed the bushings last week I could not fit the washers so I disposed of them... So I waisted time of this instead of the hunt for the clunk.

I was on the hunt for a reverse vise to pry open the bushings holder to make room for the washers. I never heard of anyone having issue with the GS part, I guess I am the first one :roll:

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am having this exact same vibration rattle. It's driving me nuts. this is my second Saab, just got it three weeks ago. 2007 9-5 wagon. Did you end up finding the source of the rattle?

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
Today I drove the car on the ramps with the plan of inspecting at the rear mount and the subframe bushings. First I decided to flash the automatic transmission fluid, so I did that first. As I was under the car I noticed that the GS transmission mount bushings came off slightly off the cavity it's in. Now I know what those large flat washers that came with the bushings were for ;oops: when I changed the bushings last week I could not fit the washers so I disposed of them... So I waisted time of this instead of the hunt for the clunk.

I was on the hunt for a reverse vise to pry open the bushings holder to make room for the washers. I never heard of anyone having issue with the GS part, I guess I am the first one :roll:
You say higher up.... Like on top of strut? Do you get any clunking when starting the car? My guess is strut mount or rear subframe bushings.... This would reverberate through floorboard at times. The latter....

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've got clunking/vibration under the glove box that I presume is bad subframe bushings.

Like the OP, I also installed the GS transmission bushing, but I didn't have any washers in the box (this was almost two years ago but I don't remember seeing anything else). Am I missing these washers and is that causing the clunking?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I just fixed this exact noise this weekend - it drove me nuts for months. The noise sounded just like metal to metal contact (like exhaust on the frame) reverberating through the dash and even the steering wheel at times. I bought all 3 engine mounts and found that it was the upper driver side mount (under the fuse box) that was the cause. Both upper mounts were trashed but the lower looked Ok, though I replaced it anyway. No more vibration and no more clunk/rattle when starting or shutting it off. This is an easy DIY project with basic tools and a jack. I also have a new torque rod from Power flex on the way to keep the engine movement at minimum. This should help the stock mounts last a bit longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts