SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I thought earlier in the week was a result of this ridiculous hot & humid weather now seems to be something more. Friday evening driving home the car was acting very sluggish at highway speeds (70-80 mph). Normally when I'm cruising at this speed, slight pressure on the gas pedal and the car quickly accelerates. However, Friday this wasn't the case and I gave it more gas until it downshifted into 2nd gear. The RPM's obviously shot up but it hardly increased in speed & began hesitating (felt like it was miss-firing) & the engine light began flashing. I think the light flashed about 11 times. When I drove it later in the evening & again on Saturday, it was fine. I drove it up to NJ yesterday (about 270 miles round trip) it began to do it real bad on the way home. Very rarely do I need to use passing gear (2nd) b/c the turbo takes care of it. But cruising down I-95 yesterday evening it kept downshifting under the slightest acceleration, hesitating afterwards & the engine light would flash. If this occurred several times in a row, the light would flash more (counted up to 30 some flashes at one time!) Then, just like that, the car would be fine again. I'm just shy of 75K miles & don't think the cars ever had a tune up (bought w/ 58K). I was planning on replacing plugs next weekend anyway. Any thoughts & does anyone know how to decipher the engine light flashes? BTW, just drove it this morning and it was fine, ran great actually! UGH! :roll:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Sounds like a failing DI to me. Try to avoid freeway driving, if the DI goes at speed thats when it overfuels and kills the catalytic converter. Have you got a dealer nearby that can confirm its the DI?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly is the DI?

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
its actually a di cassette... direct ignition cassette. This is the set of coils on your motor that are over the spark plugs, u could have di failure but i doubt it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, okay. Normally in my experience, when these failed on other distributor less ignitions, they did so with no warning and no prior symptoms. But I'm new to the realm of Saabs so I'm certainly open to suggestions! Can anyone translate the engine light flashes?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just posted to a similar thread on the Performance forum...

The description sounds similar to what happened on my Aero over the past couple of weeks.

I eventually lost about 50% of power, and prior to that I had a couple of unexplained misfires on the highway including one occassion where I got a flashing CEL for about 10 seconds after some hard acceleration.

The engine management computer records the number of misfires for each cylinder. If you can take the car to a Saab Dealer or Independent Saab Mech they can plug the Tech II diagnostic computer in and check the misfire counts for each cylinder. In my case cylinders 2 & 3 had a couple of thousand but 1 & 4 were around 15000. Because they weren't all about the same it pointed to a faulty DI.

In my case a new DI cassette was fitted and everything was OK again.

dan_aero

ps. Top Tip - Two of my friends also have 9-5's and both had DI's that completely died, which seems to be the usual failure mode. Mine still had some life so I kept it and have put it in the boot (trunk) as a 'get me home' spare.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
there is a software update at the dealerships for t7, to help aid the di and keep it from dying and ruining anything. though i would not suggest going to the dealership and doing this, unless u r on stock software, since u will lose your modified ecu if u do this update.

·
Registered
126 Posts
... of course changing the plugs first might fix it anyway, particularly if they are of unknown vintage.

dan_aero

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Unlike some of the other models the number of flashes of the CEL arent specific to a problem, its just being pedantic and letting you know you have a problem about 50 times :roll:

I think its DI & plugs too ;)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Definitely agree with both Dan and Chris re DI cassette and plugs but before you buiy a new DI obviously start with the plugs first and if this doesnt work you could then check for an air leak. As mentioned before engine could be running lean and this could be due to a leak in a hose or somewhere else.As Chris knows my car pretty well I had a problem that lasted over 6 mths and I changed the DI and plugs and CPS before it was found to be an air leak at the turbo intake pipe.Where the pipe joins the turbo there is a type of c cliup connector and this had worked loose allowing a a small gap to appear where the intake pipe joins the turbo.This caused misfires and near stalls.A real pain to find.So before you spend loads of cash check hoses etc.Best of luck David

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Awesome, thanks everyone! I'll do the plugs and take it from there. What is the cost of a DI cassette?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
And have no guarantee that it is any better than the one you have, dont advise that as an option with a DI :roll:

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
But how much mileage are you gonna get out of them? Could be 100 miles, could be 20k miles, as used items you are chancing your arm how much value you're gonna get out of 'em. :roll:

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I have to admit I carry a used one as a spare too :)

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Kermit ill tell ya what... go over to the guys in the 9-3 forums that have put 20,000 miles on a brand new one and it dies, then they go out and buy a used one that lasts them 60,000 miles... explain that to me... :cry:

i have two di cassettes and they are both used one ius the original that came on the car with 93,000 miles and the other one's mileage is unknown to date... as it was bought second hand. the one bought second hand is the one that i use, and the original is a spare.
I would rather spend $350 get like 5 DI cassettes and end up with 3 that work perfect, then buy one for that price,

1 - 20 of 71 Posts