SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
You receive absolutely no benefit from the "open air" filter.

The factory/OEM filter is good for up to 400 horsepower.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I have been running a S&S oiled air filter from Genuine Saab for at least 10 years with issues. I just lightly oil it when I recondition it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Toxicavenger, do you mean without issues? If not, what issues have you had? I’m hesitant to blame the filter since I haven’t run into a single issue yet (besides this one, potentially), and i’ve been running this one for over two years now - and previous owner didn’t have any issues, either.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
I have had no issues at all. I use the K&N charge kit for it.
I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm just wondering...what is the appeal of the K&N/oiled/open air filter?

I have a few somewhat expensive go fast bits on my stage 2 tuned very fun car, I've never invested in an open air/oiled filter because it seems to be more work than it's worth.

Just curious...they sure sell them.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I'm not asking to be argumentative, I'm just wondering...what is the appeal of the K&N/oiled/open air filter?

I have a few somewhat expensive go fast bits on my stage 2 tuned very fun car, I've never invested in an open air/oiled filter because it seems to be more work than it's worth.

Just curious...they sure sell them.
Easy I am not throwing away filters. I have been running rechargeable filters since the 90's. I have never had an issue with them. It takes 10 minutes to clean one.

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
See there ya go, I hadn't considered the not throwing away part of it.

The K&N's cost $100.00 around here, original SAAB filters are $12.00, shopping around you can get them for as little as eight bucks but it's usually not worth the trouble. :)

How long does a washable filter last? I don't believe what the internet sales folks tell me.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
See there ya go, I hadn't considered the not throwing away part of it.

The K&N's cost $100.00 around here, original SAAB filters are $12.00, shopping around you can get them for as little as eight bucks but it's usually not worth the trouble. :)

How long does a washable filter last? I don't believe what the internet sales folks tell me.
I have the S&B filter for $50 Drop in Sport Filter 9-5, GenuineSaab.com Every oil change I clean it and recharge it. I bought this one back in 2009 if I recall.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
For me, the filter came with the car, and never caused any problems. I have it covered in a K&N hydrophobic sock, and do the recommended cleaning interval as not to overall it - that's ~30-50k miles. It never gets horribly/unbreathably dirty.

Cheesy as it sounds, the induction noises are part of the driving experience for me - I don't know my car without them. I've begun associating the sound with my car, and it wouldn't be the same without it. I hate that, but it's the case for me. As far as gains go, while gains are negligible out of the box (~5-10hp depending on who you ask - I call BS, too), I would need an intake modification of some sort to reach stage 3 levels - hell, even Hirsch modified the airbox to make it more free-flowing. I also don't feel bad using an open air intake as it's in the bumper on 9-5s, and not close to the engine like on 9-3s - this placement definitely makes it inefficient and potentially even reduces power.

Anyway, back on topic - the car's at the dealership again. After doing more general research and reaching out to Brew City Boost, I'm skeptical of the ECU being the issue and am looking to see if maybe the injectors are getting old and crusty or if too many heat cycles started wearing out the coils in the injectors. Who knows at this point...

21 - 29 of 29 Posts