SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all – I’ve got a 2004 9-3 SS (manual transmission), and it runs great while I’m in motion. I’ve noticed recently, however that when I’m idling my car engine will often shudder, and the RPMs will go from ~800, down to below 500 (to the point where it sounds like the engine is stalling), then refract up to 1200, then it will normalize back to 800. This all happens in only a 1-2 sec time interval.

I understand that certain factors can cause the idle to fluctuate, but this is very noticeable, and independent of any accessory that might be running (AC, heated seats, audio system, etc). But of than that, the performance of the engine seems fine. Should I be concerned? Has anyone noticed this problem on the 2.0t?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sparks and injectors

Make sure to:

1. (3rd Stone's suggestion) Have your dealer check throttle

2. Make sure you are using 93 Octane fuel

3. Have your dealer clean off your fuel injectors

4. MOST IMPORTANT- change you spark plugs. My Saab was acting the same way, i dusted off the injectors and replaced plugs (at 30000 miles). No intermittent suttering. Purrs like a happy cat! My spark plugs had a bigger gap worn into it than the specified gap on new ones, and the plugs were very dirty (black dust, normal)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much. I'll have the throttle checked when I bring my car in. As for the spark plugs, I never even thought of something that simple, but it makes complete sense. Plus, the car has about 21.5k on it, and I don't believe it's ever been done. Thanks!

Oh yeah - and the fuel grade - I read in the manual that the recommended fuel is 90 (with a range of 87-93). So, since 90 is not usually available at most stations, I’ve been using 89. However, if (and I don't know anything about this as it is my first Saab) my car can make use of the octane, I'd rather switch to 93. Recommendations on that?

Thanks again - you're a big help to someone not so knowledgeable about how a turbo engine operates (especially one as sophisticated as a Saab).

-Scotty

·
Banned
631 Posts
saabiah04 said:
Oh yeah - and the fuel grade - I read in the manual that the recommended fuel is 90 (with a range of 87-93). So, since 90 is not usually available at most stations, I’ve been using 89. However, if (and I don't know anything about this as it is my first Saab) my car can make use of the octane, I'd rather switch to 93. Recommendations on that?

-Scotty

Use 93 Octane. always. IMO

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
AlbertaDrew said:
Plugs....last three have been...check that first.
I still think plug problems on low mileage cars are rare here.

Last one I remember was someone washing his engine and leaving water pools around the plugs and coils. This isn't technically a plug problem. And that particular situation caused problems across the whole rev range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts