SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1998 900S, so the first year of the hydraulic clutch. About a week ago, got in the car and noticed that the clutch pedal felt weird. The best way to describe it is that it seems to lose about half of its useful travel, it only feels like a clutch from the floor to halfway up, and then it's just loose the rest of the way. The next time I drove it, clutch is back to normal. It is usually normal, and then every day or two or three the clutch does this. Sometimes it gets better after driving it, and sometimes it just stays like that.

The car runs fine, shifts into all gears easily and doesnt fall out of them. What's the problem? Leaking fluid or worse? It sounds expensive so I would like to know what i might be up against.

Thanks for the input

-Nils

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
sounds like there might be air in the system. try bleeding it.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why would that randomly happen? And how do I bleed it, isn't the hydraulics really hard to access?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

The condition is more severe now. I just kept driving the car because it was for all intensive purposes drivable, but now it needs repair. Now, pretty much every time i start the car up cold, the clutch is barely there. only a couple inches of travel at best. It is difficult to put into any gear for the first 10-15 minutes of driving, and impossible to get into reverse gear without really bad grinding.

I fear i'm going to have to bend over for the saab repair guys as now I am just slowly ruining the transmission with all the accidental gear grinds and excessive clutch use. Any insight?

Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts