SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My central locking just started to work intermittently. Every other time I try to use it, it doesn't work. Actually, it's just the locking function that gives the most trouble,s as it works almost everytime when I try to unlock the car.
It makes no difference if I try to use the button on the centre console, or the key in the door (or the aftermarket remote). Usually when it doesn't work, there's no use in insisting, then, after a drive or a few hours parking, it works again. Then it works for a while, maybe for a few days, then fails again.
When it works, it works perfectly, which makes me think that all the mechanics are well lubed and clean.
Before I start to check if the aftermarket remote install (which was done 10 years ago and always worked perfectly til now) did any harm to the central locking ECU, I ask: is this a known failure mode? is there anything I should check first?
Thanks.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Posted by Stefano: I ask: is this a known failure mode?
Yes, it seems to be. I had exactly the same problem, and it was obviously temperature-related, i.e. when warm, everything was OK, and failure began when the temp dropped to near 0 C.

In the end, I had to replace the central door locking controller unit, but other forum members have removed and re-soldered connections on the controoler circuit board.

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Funny enough, temperatures in this neck of the woods have just dropped to about 0°C. Thanks RobinB, looks like my problem is exactly what you had, indeed.

I'll take the controller unit apart and see if I can find anything broken or burnt in it. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Posted by Stefano: I'll take the controller unit apart and see if I can find anything broken or burnt in it.
From what I've read, you won't see anything burnt or broken, otherwise the thing would never work. It seems that over a long period of time, some of the solder connections become brittle, and just need re-seating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Central Locking Relay location

Dear Saab Enthusiasts

My central locking on my 9000 CSE has been working intermittently so I've got hold of a replacement relay. Now, I assumed it went underneath the AIR bag on the drivers side where the other relays are located but I can't see anything that looks like the replacement one which is a long oblong thing.

Does anyone know where it goes?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,

From

Damon

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DazzaUK said:
....the replacement one which is a long oblong thing.

Does anyone know where it goes?
Are you sure it's the relay and not the ECU?

In LHD cars the ECU goes just above driver's feet, behind the kickpanel. I guess that in RHD cars it's in the same position, except it's called "above passenger's feet" :cheesy: .

See my other thread, I'm having exactly the same poblem right now. Must be the cold of this time of year... :roll:

·
Registered
936 Posts
My 9000 had the same problem.... I'm hesitant to say it fixed itself, because cars never do that, but it wasn't a problem after a while.... I did notice though, I could almost always lock/un-lock the doors if I used my key...and if that didn't work I'd walk to go try the key in the passenger side door and that would work.... Saabs can be a bit tempermental :cheesy:

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
vnv727 said:
I did notice though, I could almost always lock/un-lock the doors if I used my key...and if that didn't work I'd walk to go try the key in the passenger side door and that would work....
Then your problem was different than mine, I tried all these tricks and none works in my car.

I just finished redoing some solderings in my central locking unit, it's working now, I guess only time will tell if the intermittent fault will come back.
Actually, I didn't redo all the solderings, only the ones under the relays and for the connector pins. I didn't even redid them the proper way, since I don't have a vacuum solder, I just melted the metal then poured some more in the puddle I formed... let's see if it lasts.

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Ny 1995 CSE had this problem.... turned out to be a dodgy module. $30 dollars and 3 days shipping later (eBay is awesome!) and the problem went away completely.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine only works when it is cold outside. Go figure :confused:

Is there a writeup on the removal and repair of the central locking unit?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mine also works better the colder the temperature. Once the vehicle gets fully warmed up or is operating in warmer climates, then the central locking fails to work. Pressing the lock button from inside fails when the fob locking mechanism fails. The doors can be manually locked by locking the driver side door, so I know that the door lock motors work properly.

I have a new Central Locking Module en route, also thanks to Ebay, and also need instructions on the replacement or even location for the module.

Cheers,
Enrique

·
Saab Mad
3,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't need a procedure or a writeup for this job, it's such an easy job. The location of the module has already been mentioned in this very thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts