SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have what I believe is one of the most difficult problems to diagnos. It's on my daughters '96 9000 CSE.

The problem is that she will park her car in a college parking lot during the week and on the weekend she will go to start it to come home and the battery will be completely dead. No lights, or anything. Dead Dead.

I've replaced the battery, and check to make sure the alternator is charging while she's driving. I also check to see if the cigarette ligher is powered when the key is off, as she leaves a cell phone charger plugged in most of the time. The power is off when the key is off.

The reason I have suspicions it's the centeral locking system is from the collection of symptoms that I've noticed over the past few months, but I don't know how they could be related to the battery going dead unless someone knows of a service bulletin or recognizes a charateristic of my symptoms.

The first symptom was a couple months ago when she complained that she couldn't lock or unlock the doors remotely anymore, and the marker lights would just blink instead. I did a little research and found it was the fuse for the centeral lock system. I don't remember the exact details, but it's possible that the first fuse I put in (rated correctly) blew immediately or after a day or two, but I ended up bumping up the rating maybe 5 amps, and it hasn't been a problem since.

The second symptom which as I reflect back now is probably the cause of the first symptom, is that the right front door doesn't respond to the remote lock/unlock command, and I believe it dosen't respond to anything period, like the lock switch in the console, but not sure on that.

The third symptom is that when she goes to her car after its been sitting for a week and the battery is dead, the doors are all unlocked, when she disticly remembers making sure everything was locked when she left it. Well maybe all the doors except the right front door, but I didn't ask her specifically about that one.

The problem is that I have no idea of what or how something could become active after it sits for a while and could cause the battery to drain completely.

I've check the current draw after the ECU or what ever has settled down and it draws around 20mA, which should be fine to last several months.

For the short term, I put a toggle switch in the engine compartment that breaks the circuit at the smaller of the two wires off the battery (+) side, or at the (+) tie block to battery. It'll be a little inconvient for her to open the hood and flip the switch for a while until I figure it out. Plus I know it's not good for the ECU to be cleared of it's learned data, but it's still better then a dead battery.

I know some who may read this may state the obvious to fix the door lock that doesn't work any more, which will eventually be one of the things I do, but I don't get much time to diagnose the car as I may only see it on a weekend or less.

Unless anyone can specifically tell me why a bad door lock/motor could cause the problem I have, I'd rather spend my time identifying the exact problem.

As far as I know it may not even have anything to do with the central locking system, except probablity may be stacked in favor of the area with problems aready.

I concerned that the only way I'll be able to track down the problem is by tapping into the fuse block for specific functions of the vehicle that are powered when the key is off like central locks, or anything else with power, and strip chart record the current over several days to see what device decides to mysteriously start drawing excessive amounts of current. I really don't want to do this yet, and I don't have access to the vehicle that long.

Oh, one more piece of information, I just found out as I was talking to her today, seems like the only door that responds to the remote lock/unlock anymore is the drivers door. This is getting to weird for me, aren't all the locks driven electrically at the same point? And for more then one door motor to fail within a week or two of each other doesn't seem to be a normal failure?

So anyone with any ideas would be greatly appriciate.

Thanks,

Kurt

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Disreguard the last paragraph of my post. Turns out it's still only the right front door that doesn't work. She is a freshmen at colleage and still learning to pay attention to details, go figure.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts